The Department of Astronomy at New Mexico State University invites you to apply to be a part of a diverse, dynamic and welcoming learning and working environment at the Apache Point Observatory (APO) in Sunspot, New Mexico.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Responsible for the electrical/electronics related to the ARC 3.5-m telescope, instrumentation, and facilities at Apache Point Observatory.
• Must have extensive skills in analog and digital electronics. Experience/expertise in multiple systems such as CCD electronics, Servos, PLC controllers, lightning isolation, power systems, CAD design, circuit and circuit board design, high and low voltage power distribution, design and implementation in low noise.
• Ability to learn the fore mentioned topics you may have less knowledge is a plus. Develops and maintains procedures and maintenance schedules related to electrical systems.
• Plans and coordinates maintenance work.
• Design, generate contracts for fabrication and testing of various electronic systems, subsystems and ancillary equipment associated with complex telescope systems, including interfaces and scientific instruments.
• Perform preventive and corrective maintenance to systems as necessary to ensure safety and system integrity.
• Monitor trends and correct anomalies.
• Perform troubleshooting and problem analysis.
• Specify procedures, schedule, spare lists for maintenance repair of instrument and telescope systems.
• Report activities and progress related to instrument and telescope systems engineering to ARC Telescope Engineer.
• Specify, procure, maintain specialized electrical, electronics, and test/maintenance equipment.
• Develop an annual plan and contribute input towards the budget for telescope systems engineering activities and projects.
• Supervise, direct, delegate, and evaluate work of assigned staff
• Instrument performance monitoring and preparation for observing
• Telescope and Site Electrical Troubleshooting and Repair
• Electronic system design, procurement / fabrication Servo tuning, control system programing development
• Review instrument proposals
• Oversee new instrument design, procurement, fabrication, participate in design reviews, assists with integration. Working independently or as a part of an internal/external team.
• Coordinate instrument upgrades/ prepare proposals/ oversee design, procurement, and implementation.
• Work with software developers to ensure proper software integration with operations for optimum performance in all operating environments.
• Perform related duties as required
Applications accepted via the NMSU careers website only. Apply at : http://careers.nmsu.edu/cw/en-us/job/498917
See deadline in posting on careers.nmsu.edu website
After close of job
Current Status of Position: