Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Requisition ID 2017-8892
PAYLOAD/INSTRUMENT POINTING CONTROL ANALYSIS
Minimum Years of Experience
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA's lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe.
JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are proud to be part of NASA and Caltech, as we explore the universe and make history through new discoveries.
We aim to do things never done before and to go places few can go. We dare mighty things...do you?
This unique opportunity is part of the Autonomous Systems Division, which is responsible for technology development, advanced concepts, design, development, delivery, integration and test, verification and validation, and operation of Command and Data Handling (C&DH) Hardware, Flight Software, Power Systems, Robotic Systems, and Guidance and Control.
As a Technical Group Supervisor for the Payload/Instrument Pointing Control Analysis Group, you will be working for JPL's Guidance and Control Section, which provides leadership and unique world-class expertise in GN&C Systems Engineering, Analysis, and Entry, Descent, and Landing (EDL) Control Systems.
JPL's Payload/Instrument Pointing Control Analysis Group is dedicated to the design, analysis, and flight software development of instrument pointing control systems. This group is involved throughout the lifecycle of pointing control systems from concept development, mission formulation, through flight operations.
Currently, we are seeking an innovative, experienced Technical Group Supervisor (TGS) to lead the group in payload and instrument pointing control analysis. Responsibilities of this group include the design, analysis, modeling and simulation, testing, and flight operation of payload and instrument pointing control systems. As the TGS, you will be involved in all phases of the mission life cycle including technical concept development, cost and schedules, hardware implementation, delivery, and operations.
In addition to leading a team of a dozen or more dynamics and control analysts, the TGS is a highly motivated, creative, experienced engineer with the ability to coordinate, balance and integrate technical and program-related issues in an end-to-end manner to ensure that the total system satisfies the project's requirements.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Providing guidance, insight and oversight of pointing subsystem analysis activities.
• Monitoring and taking responsibility for the group members' deliverables, internal processes, quality of products, and charging practices.
• Monitoring, evaluating and being accountable for the performance of employees and, where relevant, the work output of managed subcontractors.
• Interacting regularly with flight projects and counterparts in the Payload / Instrument Pointing Control Systems Engineering Group for overall subsystem development.
• Interacting with related JPL groups, sections, and cognizant JPL project offices.
• Generating and reviewing cost and schedules for subsystem deliveries.
• Defining future JPL pointing control architectures, tools and techniques for instruments.
• Fostering continuous process improvement and technology infusion.
• Maintaining a safe working environment and a strong customer focus.
• Serving on review boards and leading peer reviews as necessary.
• Hiring and retaining a diverse, highly qualified staff, and providing career coaching, growth and personal development for direct report JPL employees including setting goals and ensuring that they are achieved.
• Ensuring employee awareness and compliance with Laboratory policies, procedures, and practices, and regulatory requirements.
In this position, you will also be expected to:
• Perform system architecture and risk management analyses. Provide team leadership by being accountable for team results on projects and assignments, including performance standards, budget and schedule.
• Perform complex and wide-ranging job functions and activities across multiple disciplines.
Essential qualifications include:
• Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 9 years of related experience; a Master's degree in similar disciplines with typically a minimum of 7 years of related experience; or a PhD in similar disciplines with typically a minimum of 5 years related experience.
• Two years of lead, supervisory and/or management experience with demonstrated leadership skills.
• Technical depth in the design and delivery of space computing systems.
• Experience in developing and delivering pointing control systems.
• Significant experience in at least one of the following areas: spacecraft systems engineering, guidance, navigation, and control (GN&C) systems, or pointing control systems.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications.
• Demonstrated experience managing, overseeing, and leading budget, planning, and resource allocations.
• Experience in performing architectural trades between hardware and software implementations.
• Experience in developing technical engineering proposals.
Caltech/JPL is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and affirmative action employer. It is the policy of Caltech/JPL to provide equal employment opportunities, actively recruit, and include for employment consideration all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/gkmmjvdv4rpx5zsz