American Public University System
Online Part-Time Faculty – Astronomy
Academic Responsibilities and Essential Functions:
• Teaching excellence
• Deliver online lessons to undergraduate and/or graduate students.
• Initiate, facilitate, interact and moderate online classroom forums.
• Be a faculty leader in your classes embracing fully the Community of Inquiry Framework of Teaching Presence, Cognitive Presence, and Social Presence.
• Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, and papers within the timeframe set forth by APUS policy providing effective feedback to guide student learning and success.
• Comply with APUS guidelines and expectations for quality faculty engagement online.
• Engage in the classroom and reply to emails, etc. at least every other day, including one day during the weekend.
• Remain aware of classroom procedures and use of instructional materials.
• Participate in professional development to enhance teaching skills.
• Attend discipline specific and administrative meetings as scheduled.
• Maintain ‘discipline’ knowledge by participating in one’s own discipline-related professional communities.
• Support APUS initiatives and departments.
• Please note: faculty hired for this position could be teaching at Doctoral, Graduate and Undergraduate levels depending on qualifications and program need. If selected to teach at the Doctoral or Graduate level, the faculty member will be subject to additional research requirements.
Education and Experience:
• A Doctoral degree in Astronomy, Astrophysics, Planetary Science or closely related field from a regionally accredited institution is required.
• Two or more years of professional working experience in the Space Studies field is strongly desired.
• Experience with optical and radio telescope operation and imaging is preferred.
• College-level teaching experience is preferred.
• Online teaching experience is preferred.
• Record of excellence in teaching.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite programs required.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
• Sitting, extensive use of keyboard