ESA is looking for a Data Scientist.
ESAC, Villanueva de la Cañada, Spain
The European Space Agency maintains a world-leading Science Programme Our Missions - Cosmos (esa.int) with missions in heliophysics, planetary science, astrophysics and fundamental physics. Its mission is to “Empower Europe to lead space science”.
The Department for Science and Operations (SCI-S), within ESA's Directorate for Science, hosts the scientists and engineers that oversee the space missions from study to end of operations; it develops the science operation systems for the missions and operates the missions in space; it archives and curates their data during operations and beyond. Our main objective is to maximise the scientific output of the missions for the benefit of humankind.
You will be assigned as Data Scientist in the Data Science Section - within the Department’s Data Science and Archives Division. The Data Science Section develops innovative and disruptive data science solutions with the objective of increasing the science return of ESA’s science missions, notably through enhancing the science data exploitation and improving the efficiency of science operations.
We are looking for a creative data scientist with a strong interest in space science who would enjoy working with our mission teams and scientists.
Within the Data Science Section, you will be responsible for:
- proposing and implementing innovative new Data Science projects within the Department;
- promoting the usage of data science and engaging with key internal and external users and stakeholders (e.g. through organising workshops and conferences);
- contributing to the Department’s data science strategy, in close collaboration with the ESAC Science Data Centre and the science missions;
- acting as Technical Officer for industrial services and external contracts supporting the activities of the Section;
- supporting the Head of the Data Science Section on any relevant Section matters.
You are expected to keep abreast of current and upcoming data science technologies (e.g. artificial intelligence, big data, datamining, machine learning, data visualisation) and to continue to carry out personal research as well as to contribute actively to the scientific life of the Department.
Strong computational and data science skills
Knowledge of application of Machine Learning to big data analytics
Experience in the management and monitoring of research and development activities
Background in one or more of the following domains: solar systems science, astrophysics, space science
A PhD in a relevant discipline such as space science, computer science or data science is required.
Additional assets for this position are:
- Experience in artificial intelligence technologies;
- Experience in science operations (e.g. in the context of space missions);
- Experience in managing contracts (e.g. related to R&D).
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics.
For more information, please click on Apply
Closing date for applications is 06 July 2022