Your mission :
The SCITAS platform provides EPFL researchers and partners with access to infrastructure and expertise in High Performance Computing (HPC). SCITAS also contributes to research and development activities so as to maintain the EPFL's reputation as a leading research facility.
SCITAS is looking for a Data Scientist to develop the Data Science activities and related astrophysical research developed at EPFL, in particular for the Square Kilometer Array and for the Cherenkov Telescope Array.
Ideal start date is Fall 2021, but can be negotiated.
Main duties and responsibilities include :
Participate to EPFL data science activities related to the radio astronomy projects at EPFL:
- Interact with the EPFL laboratories involved, in particular: astrophysics, signal processing, data science, machine learning, artificial intelligence, etc.
- Develop and implement data analysis, image reconstruction and source identification in the SKA pipeline as well as SKA-precursor experiments (HIRAX, LOFAR, MWA,ASKAP and MeerKat) in a scalable way
- Enable scientific codes for High Performance Computing, including benchmarking, profiling, and accelerating (with for example parallelization via MPI or GPU computing)
- Analyse scientific workflow organization and data logistics
- Report to the SCITAS Director and the LASTRO Director
Your profile :
- You are enthusiastic about radio astronomy and data science
- You have obtained a Master or a PhD
- You have HPC and scalable software development expertise, in particular with GPUs
- You have experience in machine learning
- You have experience in data analysis and big data workflows
- You have good knowledge of English, and French or German
We offer :
- A dynamic, interdisciplinary and international working environment
- An internationally visible and rising academic institution in HPC and Astrophysics
- A privileged contact with state-of-the-art technological developments
- Access to many continuing education courses.
Start date: September 202. Term of employment: Fixed-term (CDD). Duration: 2 years (renewable)
Only candidates who applied through EPFL website (https://recruiting.epfl.ch/Vacancies/1863/Description/2) or our partner Jobup’s website will be considered. Files sent by agencies without a mandate will not be taken into account. Your application will be evaluated at as soon as received. DL of submission 1st of August 2021. Please arrange 3 reference letters to be sent directly at: [email protected].
For additional information, please contact by e-mail Dr. G. Fourestey [email protected] or Prof. J.-P. Kneib [email protected]