Chandra X-ray Telescope Data System
This is an opportunity with the Data Systems division of the Chandra X-ray Center, which is part of the High Energy Astrophysics Division of the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory in Cambridge MA. One of NASA’s Earth-orbiting Great Observatories, the Chandra X-ray telescope has been observing for over 20 years and continues to have a positive impact on the scientific understanding of the universe. We seek a Software Developer for the archive group to contribute to the continued success of the mission. Join the Chandra X-ray Center and become part of the team working to extend and maintain the Chandra Data archive functionality and to support its operations. The archive contains terabytes of data from the Chandra mission, ensures their integrity, security, and uninterrupted access, and provides interfaces for archiving and retrieval to Science Center Operations and Chandra Science users.
- Communicating with scientists and operations teams for software requirements
- Developing and maintaining software through all phases of the software development lifecycle
- Documenting software for CXC operations staff and scientific users worldwide
- Release deployment, server and data migrations, and data archive monitoring
- Problem analysis and evaluation in support of archive operations and scientific user input
- Work as part of a team
Knowledge required for the position includes:
- Proficiency in C++ and Java
- Experience in SQL/rDBMS
- Familiarity with relational database servers, web, and JEE application servers in a Unix environment
- Knowledge of and the ability to utilize scripting languages (e.g., Python, Perl) are beneficial since parts of the system include code written in these languages
We offer a challenging and fulfilling working environment in partnership with scientists, operations staff, and an existing software development group, to bring Chandra data to the astronomical community at large.
We accept only on-line applications for this position. For complete information and online application procedures, please visit https://www.usajobs.gov/job/658640300
We are an equal employment opportunity employer, committed to diversity in our workplace.