We invite applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar position in extragalactic astrophysics at Caltech/IPAC. You will work with Dr. Daniel Masters and collaborators on measuring optimal photometry from space mission data (e.g., WISE, Spitzer, GALEX) based on galaxy priors from deep Subaru HSC imaging. Additionally, you will work with the H20 and U.S. Euclid teams to produce high-quality photometric catalogs that will form the basis for scientific studies of galaxies in the 20 square degree H20 (https://project.ifa.hawaii.edu/h20/) survey. The H20 survey currently has deep Subaru HSC optical and Spitzer IR imaging, and will soon be a premier extragalactic deep region with the addition of Euclid deep field NIR observations.
You will be responsible for data processing, analysis and interpretation, and publication of scientific results. In addition, you will be encouraged to spend a fraction of your time on independent research, and will have access to observing facilities, including Palomar.
Qualifications and Experience
- By the starting date (~April 2021, but earlier dates are possible), a Ph.D. in astronomy, physics or equivalent, in an area relevant to the responsibilities.
- Prior research experience with space and/or ground-based imaging data, and in extragalactic astronomy or star formation is highly desirable. Experience with effectively working in a team environment is preferred.
- This appointment is for two years, and an additional year is possible contingent on performance and funding availability
- Applications are due by January 6, 2021 and should be directed to Dr. Dan Masters via email@example.com
- Applications only accepted via email
- A brief cover letter describing your interest in the position
- Curriculum vitae
- Publication list
- Contact information of 3 professional references
- Summary of previous and current research (limited to 3 pages)
Caltech is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. IPAC recognizes that applications from a diverse set of candidates is a requirement for recruiting the most qualified staff. We welcome applications from candidates of all sexes, sexual orientations, ethnicities, ages, religions, national origins, and especially encourage members of groups that have been underrepresented in STEM fields to apply.
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please contact us via the email above.