The Space Research Institute (IWF), with about 100 employees from twenty nations, is one of the largest
institutes of the Austrian Academy of Sciences and hosts 8 research groups on the solar
system, exoplanets, space instrumentation and satellite laser ranging.
We invite ambitious candidates who are interested in the development and application of machine learning
techniques in astronomy and instrumentation. We strive for a tight collaboration between
instrumentation and space science.
• Support IWF research and space instrumentation groups in all matters of machine learning
• Development of a ML competence hub for applications in astronomy, space science and
space technology development
• Publication activities
• PhD in relevant fields (mathematics, statistics, physics, engineering)
• Experience in developing machine learning applications in astrophysics, physics, geoscience and/or
• Experience and readiness to introduce our researchers and engineers to the field of machine learning
Start date: 1 January 2023; initially for 3+3 years; annual gross salary of € 54.018,02, depending on qualification and experience
To apply, include a cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of publications, a statement of your
experience in machine learning (2 page) and a machine learning plan with view on the IWFs research spectrum
(1 page), certificates for full academic record, and contact information for two references in one PDF file (Job ID: IWF106AS122).
The Austrian Academy of Sciences (OeAW) pursues a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal
opportunities, as well as diversity. Individuals from underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged to apply.