Would you like to write mission-critical software for some of the largest scientific endeavors on the planet? Would you like to be part of a highly skilled international team of engineers and scientists pushing the boundaries of humankind’s knowledge of the universe?
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) is seeking a full-time software engineer to design, develop and maintain code for their radio telescope calibration and imaging pipelines. These pipelines are used for the vast majority of data processing by users of the ALMA and VLA telescopes.
Pipeline Software Engineers are responsible for all aspects of the software engineering lifecycle, from requirements derivation through design, development, testing and maintenance of code. They must be capable of formulating complex technical solutions, suitable for operational deployment, from broad scientific objectives in a research environment. They must possess both software engineering domain knowledge as well as the ability to learn the basic concepts of radio interferometry.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Developing new radio interferometer data reduction algorithm implementations as needed by new scientific objectives;
- Maintaining pipeline heuristics in support of ongoing telescope data processing operations;
- Evolving the Pipeline code base to be modern, lean, efficient, and well understood;
- Operating in a distributed international team environment with other software developers and scientific staff;
- Taking ownership of a subset of functionality and providing technical direction, decision-making, and subject matter expertise in that area, while continuing to consult with team members and stakeholders.
Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, scientific or related field is required. An Advanced engineering or science degree and a background that includes astronomy is highly desired.
One to two years of work experience in software development. In addition:
- Software development in Linux
- Software development with Python
- Experience using version control software
- An understanding of formal software engineering principles including design, documentation, ticketing systems, version control and testing frameworks
- Experience with large development projects in Python
Apply online at the NRAO Careers page (http://jobs.jobvite.com/nrao/jobs). You will need to be prepared to upload your current resume and a cover letter describing interest and suitability for the position. AUI is an equal opportunity employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.