The 4MOST facility is a fibre based multi-object spectroscopic facility for the VISTA Telescope at the ESO Observatory Paranal in Chile and is being developed by a large international consortium led by the AIP. The position will provide technical oversight and leadership, will be engaged in technical research and development, in assembly, integration and test of opto-mechanical systems, will assist in engineering modelling and analysis. The incumbent will join an existing project team consisting of scientific, engineering and managerial staff.
- Lead of technical work packages for 4MOST subsystems (Wide-Field Corrector, Acquisition & Guiding, Wavefront Sensors, Metrology)
- Supervision and coordination of allocated technical staff (optical, mechanical, electronics and software engineers) and their work
- Assembly, integration and verification of subsystems
- Planning of resources, scheduling and reporting to project office
- Documentation and presentation of work status and results
- Higher degree in engineering; physics; astronomy; or similar technical/scientific field.
- Proven track record with oversight of development, design and manufacturing of complex opto-mechanical instrumentation.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with ability to influence and aid technical and scientific staff working as project teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work as a member of a multi-disciplinary team involving close collaboration with optical, electronic, and software design and support staff.
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English for communication and documentation
For further description of required and desired qualifications, please see: www.aip.de/en/career/jobs/
The position is initially offered on a fixed-term contract of three years. Subject to employee performance and funding, continued employment is possible. Employment will be based in Potsdam, Germany, but willingness to do some travel is expected.
The AIP is an equal opportunity employer and as such considers individuals for employm according to their skills, abilities and experiences. Preference will be given to persons with handicap with equal competence. Women are especially encouraged to apply.
Please send your letter of application (in English), Curriculum Vitae, job references and copies of certificates by email (one pdf-file) to: email@example.com Please indicate in the subject line “4MOST-PE-AIP”.