Linux System Administrator
The Department of Astronomy of the University of Geneva is opening a system administrator full-time position to strengthen his information system team. The Department of Astronomy is a major player in many areas of research, such as extra-solar planets, cosmology, black holes, stellar and galaxy evolution. It is involved in the development of scientific instrumentation for ground and space-based telescopes. It is hosting several data processing centers, dedicated to the data analysis of European Southern Observatory (ESO) telescopes and of European Space Agency (ESA) astrophysics satellites.
Within a team of six system administrators, you will be in charge of maintaining an efficient computer system that responds to the needs of scientific research in astronomy working closely with scientific colleagues to understand their needs and develop appropriate solutions providing assistance with scientific software installation, the development of parallel computing software and the implementation of mathematical algorithm participating in the development of specific solutions for data analysis projects developing further an HPC facility with PB-scale storage monitoring emerging technologies, selecting and implementing new solutions when appropriate ensuring the system security and backups contributing to the full range of activities, including physical installation and cabling, system installation and configuration, software libraries and tools deployment
Your Experience / Qualifications:
- A degree in computer science or equivalent
- Deep knowledge of Red Hat family Linux operating systems
- Excellent communication skills with people from different cultural and professional backgrounds
- A good level of written and spoken French and English
Knowledge in the following areas will be assets
- Software installation (EasyBuild, Spack, modules)
- Containers (Docker and Singularity) and their management (Kubernetes)
- Provisioning (Red Hat Satellite, Spacewalk, Kickstart)
- Configuration management with Salt
- The Slurm job scheduler
- Virtualization solutions (oVirt)
- BeeGFS or GlusterFS distributed file systems
Further information can be obtained from Prof. Jean-Paul Kneib by email.
If you correspond to the above description, we would be very happy to receive your application (cover letter, CV, certificates, diplomas) which must be submitted exclusively online by clicking on the button "Apply now" on this link.
Ffixed term contract of one year (renewable for one year). Deadline for applying: 06.06.2021. Starting date: 01.08.2021 or can be discussed.