The Center for Computational Astrophysics (CCA), led by David Spergel, aims to become a focal point for computational astrophysics around the world and plans to develop the computational methods and tools needed for calculations, simulations and analyses in astrophysics. In steady state, CCA will be comprised of up to 50–60 researchers.
The CCA is looking for highly motivated individuals with a strong background in one of the following fields: computer science, machine learning and statistics with an interest in astrophysics cosmology and/or large datasets.
Associate Research Scientists in ML/Stat will develop novel computational and inferential approaches for analysis of large datasets or generation of simulations including but not limited to the field of astrophysics. Associate Research Scientists are expected to develop their own research programs or work in collaboration with group leaders at the center. Reporting to David Spergel, these positions are based at the Simons Foundation in New York City.
CCA is advertising for joint positions with neighboring universities as well as full-time positions at the Flatiron Institute. Generally, these positions are three-year positions and may be renewed for another three years. In the sixth year, Associate Research Scientists may be reviewed with the possibility of promotion to a non-term-limited position as a Research Scientist.
- Conduct research in Machine Learning, Statistics, Data-mining in collaboration with other domain scientists in Flatiron Institute.
- Develop novel methods, algorithms, techniques for the analysis of large data sets or generation of simulations.
- Publish research in refereed scientific and technical journals
- Provide publicly available software for use by the scientific community
- Support the public use of available software
- Assist in the organization of computational astrophysics workshops and conferences
- Assist in the organization of weekly group seminars
- Present papers at scientific conferences
- Supervise research conducted by Flatiron research fellows and graduate and undergraduate students from neighboring institutions
- Mentor summer students and assist in the organization of summer programs
- Perform any other duties or tasks as assigned or required
- 4 - 10 years of graduate and postgraduate research experience incomputer science, machine learning andstatistics
- A record of excellence in scientific publication
Required Application Materials
- Research statement outlining both past research accomplishments and a vision for scientific research at the Flatiron Institute
- Three (3) letters of recommendation submitted confidentially by the letter writers to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must be submitted no later than November 15, 2017.
The Flatiron Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.