The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is seeking a Deputy Branch Manager with proven career record as Astronomical Data Scientist to join the Mikulski Archive for Space Telescopes (MAST). MAST is a multi-petabyte archive and the data center for more than twenty space- and ground-based missions, including the Hubble Space Telescope, TESS, Pan-STARRS, the James Webb Space Telescope and Roman Telescope. MAST acts as stewards of the data produced by NASA's astrophysics missions and works to ensure these priceless data sets are available to all.
Come join our team and work to improve the scientific productivity of the MAST data holdings! In this role, you will work with other scientists and software engineers to provide scientific and technical expertise for MAST projects.
We encourage applications from scientists in all sub-disciplines of observational or theoretical astrophysics that can support the broad science objectives of MAST's missions.
This position requires a PhD in Astronomy, or a related field and experience as a scientist supporting astronomical research activities. We require familiarity with software development practices.
Demonstrated familiarity with one or more of the following is a plus:
• Astronomical software tools (e.g. TOPCAT) and software packages (e.g. Astropy)
• Modern software development workflows and tools (e.g., Git)
• Use of astronomical archives to support research projects
• Astronomical Databases
• Working with teams of software developers and scientists
• Documentation and tutorials (e.g. Jupyter notebooks)
The ideal candidate will have strong communication skills, be able to work with minimum supervision, be self-motivated, and be capable of representing MAST to outside groups.
• Oversees staff of ~10 direct reports
• Responsible for annual performance evaluation and professional development of staff.
• Has domain responsibility for projects within MAST related to software development, archive interfaces, and infrastructure. This includes the complete life cycle of development, integration/testing, and operations.
• Receives and manages the requirements, timelines, deliverables, personnel, and (as necessary) budgets for all domain-specific projects.
• Assigns work to direct reports and manages work.
• Provide regular, informal project status reports to ASB Branch Manager, and as necessary, the Data Management Division Office and Mission Offices. Provide formal reports or presentations as necessary.
• Works closely with project team leads to ensure milestones and deliverables are met; obtain regular status updates from team leads; work with team leads to resolve conflicts and manage project roadblocks
• Plans and develops project requirements, milestones, and deliverables for new domain-specific projects in close coordination with team leads, ASB Branch Manager, ASB Deputies, and the DSMO
• Works with ASB Branch Manager, ASB Deputies, and other branches as needed.
Applications received by August 19, 2020, will receive full consideration. The position will remain open until filled.
Direct Link to Apply: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SPA1004AURA/JobBoard/93330e50-7b3a-4ba8-...
The diversity of the STScI staff enhances the dynamic and collegial atmosphere of our community, and reflects our commitment to inclusivity in the broadest sense. Accordingly, women, minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.
*STScI has all staff working virtually during the COVID-19 crisis. The safety of our staff and community is our top priority. We will continue to interview and screen candidates in this new virtual landscape. Offers of employment can be extended and new hires will on-board virtually once they are resident in the Baltimore-Washington area. We will then ship systems to enable working virtually until it is safe to report to our Baltimore offices. Relocation benefits will be available to those eligible when travel can be supported.
As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, STScI does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, or mental or physical handicap. Veterans, disabled or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com .