Applications are invited for a postdoctoral researcher / project researcher position at the Finnish Centre for Astronomy with ESO (FINCA). FINCA is a national research institute that takes care of Finnish co-operation with the European Southern Observatory (ESO), practices and co-ordinates high quality astronomical research, and technological development work related to ESO.
The successful applicant will join the Academy of Finland -funded project lead by Dr. Talvikki Hovatta.
The start of the employment is negotiable, but preferably as soon as possible. The appointment is until the end of August 2024, with a trial period of six months.
You will participate in the development of an FPGA-based prototype backend for enabling polarimetric observations with the 14-m telescope at Aalto University Metsähovi Radio Observatory. The main part of the project is the implementation of RF-direct sampling, ultra-wideband signal receiving and processing using the Collaboration for Astronomy Signal Processing and Electronics Research (CASPER) toolflow with RFSoC advanced signal-processing technology. You will work to design, develop and implement this next-generation digital signal processing prototype backend.
- PhD or Master’s degree in astronomy, signal processing, or a closely related field
- Extensive background in RF digital signal processing
- Solid knowledge of RFSoC and FPGA technologies
- Strong background in using MATLAB, Vivado, Vitis, and related products
- Experience with the CASPER toolflow or ability to quickly learn a new toolchain
- Knowledge of radio-astronomy concepts and astronomical signal processing
- Familiarity with the hardware platforms supported by CASPER
- Familiarity with high-speed data transport (10+ Gbit/s)
- Experience in systems design, digital signal processing, systems integration and testing
- Familiarity with embedded processing, high performance computing architectures
- Professional-level communication and presentation skills in English
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Ability to document the work and write technical reports
- Ability to train other staff on the implemented system
The qualification requirements of the position are stated in the University of Turku Rules of Procedure: https://www.utu.fi/en/university/organisation. In the case the selected candidate does not have a doctoral degree, the title of Project researcher will be used.
The salary is determined in accordance with the university salary system for teaching and research personnel. Depending on qualifications, the starting gross salary for Postdoctoral researcher is typically within the range of 3300 – 4000 € per month and for Project researcher 2500 – 3150 € per month.
Applications must be submitted by 11 April 2023 (23:59) at the latest via the electronic application form of the University of Turku. The link to the electronic application system can be found from the University of Turku recruitment page: https://www.utu.fi/en/university/come-work-with-us/open-vacancies
Applications in English must include as attachments a CV, a list of relevant publications, and a motivation letter (statement on qualifications for the position, max. 2 pages), which should be uploaded via the electronic application system. Letters of recommendation from at least two referees familiar with the applicant's work must be arranged to be sent directly to Saija Marjasto, saija.marjasto(at)utu.fi. We encourage applications from candidates irrespective of nationality, gender, or background.
For more information on the position, contact Dr. Talvikki Hovatta, talvikki.hovatta(at)utu.fi. For more information on the application process, contact HR-specialist Saija Marjasto, saija.marjasto(at)utu.fi.