Applications are invited for two Lecturers / Senior Lecturers in any area of Physics with an explicit emphasis on paradigm-shifting, cross-disciplinary science. With these two open appointments, we wish to appoint the highest calibre candidates based on scientific excellence, irrespective of the research area. We are seeking candidates whose expertise will strengthen our academic mission to deliver world-class scholarship, education and research.
The Department has four overarching collaborative themes through which new research directions are driven: Fundamental Physics; Space, Plasma & Climate; Condensed Matter Physics; and Photon Science.
We are structured into nine research groups: Astrophysics, Condensed Matter Theory, Experimental Solid State Physics, High Energy Physics, Plasma Physics, Photonics, Quantum Optics & Laser Science, Space & Atmospheric Physics, and Theoretical Physics.
Applications may address more than one research area. Multi-disciplinary approaches are particularly welcome to open up new opportunities for the Department going forwards.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop and lead an innovative research programme of international quality
- Teach and examine students at all levels including lecturing undergraduate and postgraduate courses, supervising research and PhD students, providing pastoral support and contributing to curriculum development work
- Act as a coach and role model through excellent practice and mentoring of colleagues
- Contribute to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusivity in Physics
- Undertake appropriate administrative tasks in support of the Department’s activities
The essential criteria for this post are:
- A PhD in a relevant area or equivalent
- An established national and developing international reputation and expertise in a new or rapidly advancing research area
- Ability to expand the research portfolio of existing groups into new areas
- Be able to work independently to establish a coherent research activity of their own
- Potential to collaborate with other theoretical and experimental groups and programmes in the Department and/or College
- Evidence of contribution to the development and performance of colleagues through coaching or mentoring
- Experience of preparing or helping to prepare grant applications for submission
- A portfolio of research publications, confirming national / international standing (commensurate with career stage)
- Experience of training undergraduate and / or postgraduate students
- Experience of supervision of higher degrees (PhD)
- Evidence of contribution to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusivity
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to convey ideas and concepts clearly and effectively to a range of audiences through a variety of methods and media
For appointment at Senior Lecturer level, in addition to the above, the following are essential criteria:
- An exceptionally strong established national reputation and developing international reputation and expertise in a new and rapidly advancing research area
- A track record of securing external research funding
- Substantial experience in undergraduate teaching and postgraduate training, including successful PhD student supervision
- Extensive evidence of contribution to the promotion of equality, diversity and inclusivity
The posts are available immediately and the starting date will be by negotiation. We anticipate holding interviews in July 2022.
Please refer to further particulars for more information about the College.
The Department of Physics is an IoP JUNO Practitioner and an Athena Silver SWAN Award winner reflecting our commitment to building a supportive, inclusive and highly motivated community. See our EDI webpage for more Information. We strongly encourage applications from all backgrounds, especially those historically underrepresented in Physics.
Informal enquiries are welcomed and should be directed to Professor Michele Dougherty, Head of Department, [email protected] or to any of the Heads of Research Group
Application process queries - [email protected]
Technical queries - [email protected]