The AAS Media Fellowship is a quarter-time, one year, graduate-level position. The position, which is remote, will begin in Fall 2019 (exact starting date negotiable) and will have the possibility of extension for a second year. The intent of the Fellowship is to provide training and experience for a graduate student in the astronomical sciences interested in science communication. It offers development of scientific writing and editing skills under the mentorship of the AAS Nova Editor and AAS Press Officer; exposure to, and experience in, both media relations and scientific publications; and the opportunity to build a publication record on AAS Nova. Applications for this position are now open.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The AAS Media Fellow will report to the AAS Press Officer and the AAS Nova Editor. The Fellow will work the equivalent of one day per week (on a schedule that will be jointly developed and agreed upon by the Fellow, the AAS Press Officer, and the AAS Nova Editor) and be responsible for a wide range of duties. The Fellow will be expected to:
- Assist in operating the AAS press release distribution service.
- Regularly write and publish articles for AAS Nova.
- Occasionally help to prepare other written communications such as AAS or Division press releases.
- Assist in managing AAS communications such as social media accounts, postings to the AAS website, and emails to members or authors.
- Serve as backup to the AAS Nova Editor or the AAS Press Officer during absences.
- At the AAS winter and summer meetings, help the AAS Press Officer plan and run press conferences, help represent AAS Nova, and help organize live-blogging coverage of the meeting by Astrobites and AAS Nova.
The Fellow must:
- Be a graduate student in good standing in the astronomical sciences or a related field at a U.S. institution.
- Receive the approval of their advisor or department chair to apply.
- Receive their primary support from their home institution.
- Have a keen eye for detail and accuracy.
- Have the ability to absorb complex material, synthesize information, and write short articles that concisely reflect key points of the material to a target audience.
- Have good working knowledge of, and/or ability to quickly master, tools such as WordPress, Drupal, Microsoft Office, and Adobe Creative Suite.
The stipend for this position is $7,500 per year for the equivalent of one day of work per week; payable on a quarterly basis. Travel support will also be provided for travel to the summer and winter AAS meetings.
Applications for the AAS Media Fellowship are due no later than Friday, 12 July 2019. Interested and qualified applicants should submit contact information, advisor approval, a cover letter, and a short CV. The cover letter should explain the applicant’s interest in the position, how the fellowship fits into the applicant’s career plans at this time, and attributes and experience that would make the applicant highly effective in this position.
To apply for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Questions about the position, application requirements, and the search process should be directed to Susanna Kohler at email@example.com.