Salary: £39,748 - £44,166 per annum (Band E) or £50,702 - £56,336 per annum (Band F) (dependent on skills and experience).
Location: Science and Technology Facilities Council, UK Astronomy Technology Centre, Edinburgh.
We are currently seeking an experienced Systems Engineer to join us at the UK Astronomy Technology Centre (UK ATC) in Edinburgh. The UK ATC designs and builds ground and space-based instrumentation for large astronomical observatories around the world. Within the astronomy community the systems engineer acts as technical leader of the project, with responsibility for the performance of the delivered product and has a significant customer-facing role.
About this opportunity:
Within this role, you will be involved in working on a range of ground based instrumentation projects for leading observatories worldwide. You will be responsible for the requirements engineering, the overall system architecture, from assembly to delivery, of our astronomical and scientific products. Working as a senior member of the team, you will have the freedom to define and implement your own work plan without the need to be supervised and you will have many opportunities to innovate, and develop new technical solutions, with considerable scope to be creative.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Overall responsibility for the flow of information within the consortium team and with the external partners.
- Definition and control of internal and external interfaces.
- Application of end-to-end systems analysis and modelling and the subsequent allocation and management of technical budgets/tolerances.
- Technical leadership.
We are looking for someone with:
- A degree in an applicable engineering subject area or equivalent experience.
- Proven industry systems engineering experience with architectural design of complex systems.
- For the more senior role, you will need proven experience in managing engineering teams.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
We are offering a permanent position that provides a whole host of benefits including; 30 days holiday (in addition to bank holidays), an excellent pension scheme, employee shopping/travel discounts, a salary sacrifice cycle to work scheme, plus many more benefits and wellbeing initiatives that enable our employees to have a great work life balance!
We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. We are invested in creating an environment that is welcoming and supportive of all, to help us achieve the highest possible standards in our work and organisation together.
How to apply: Please click on the Apply URL. In your application please provide a CV and a Cover Letter which details your experience in relation to the criteria for this role.
Closing Date: 21st November 2021