Jacobs leads the global professional services sector delivering solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. With $15.0 billion in combined revenue and a talent force more than 77,000 strong, Jacobs provides a full spectrum of services including scientific, technical, professional, construction- and program-management for business, industrial, commercial, government and infrastructure sectors. For more information, visit www.jacobs.com
As an Observational Astronomer / Data Analyst, the candidate will assist the Meteoroid Environment Office (MEO), located within the MSFC Natural Environments Branch/EV44, in defining the meteoroid environment as it pertains to spacecraft design and risk. An additional task will entail working with the team to characterize bright meteor events occurring over the United States (i.e., “skyfalls”) through the analysis of eyewitness accounts and camera data. The candidate will develop software and tools to analyze meteor-related data, conduct any required astronomical observations, and respond to skyfall events.
Duties will include the following:
- Delivering quick-turnaround characterizations of skyfall events to the MEO customer.
- Analyzing observational data collected from telescopes, cameras, radiometers or other instrumentation.
- Conducting observations of meteors, their parent bodies, and the moon.
- Assisting in the development of models of the meteoroid environment, including meteor showers.
- Presenting results to the NASA customer and at conferences.
- Publishing results in appropriate journals.
Must have received a Master of Science degree in Astronomy, Physics, or similar field from an ABET accredited institution, with 2 years of relevant experience.
- Have experience operating telescopes and analyzing observational data.
- Have strong math and data analysis skills.
- Have extensive experience in Python and/or C/C++.
- Demonstrate the capability to utilize high performance computers.
- Demonstrate strong technical writing and presentation skills in order to present data to internal and external customers.
- Have strong customer relations skills - Have the ability to multi-task and transition between quick turnaround assignments.
- Show initiative and be proactive to make connections and build relationships with key players on the tasks.
- Demonstrate the capability to plan and perform analyses independently and as a team.
Proof of U.S. Citizenship is required.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.
Jacobs is a background screening, drug-free workplace.
To submit your resume for Jacobs Space Exploration Group in Huntsville, AL, visit https://jseg.space/.
- Select Career Opportunities to reach JSEG jobs
- Search Job - title
- Upload your resume to apply online