Leibniz-Institut für Sonnenphysik (KIS) is currently looking for an IT specialist (male/female/other) (B.Sc. or “Fachinformatik”) to start work immediately or later, full-time or part-time, at the KIS Science Data Center (SDC).
The SDC stores and manages inhomogeneous solar observation data subject to temporary embargo guidelines, providing a web-based search engine and different programming interfaces to the data (Python, etc.).
Main tasks: Maintenance of container environments (Docker, Kubernetes), pipeline orchestration (Prefect, Airflow and similar), data workflow management within the automated data processing, continued development and maintenance of web search engine based on Apache Tomcat and related technologies.
The SDC team takes care of all IT issues at KIS and is currently staffed by 14 employees, including scientists, managers, engineers and IT specialists with different areas of activity and different time allocations within the project. After the induction phase, the successful candidate is expected to also contribute, to a limited extent, to areas not directly connected with the main tasks described above, such as Linux in general, and any services and servers necessary in the context of network operation.
- Set up and support Linux clients and servers, virtualise servers (VMware, Docker) within the overall KIS/SDC concept.
- Encapsulate processes in container environments (Docker, Kubernetes) and orchestrate pipelines (Prefect, Airflow, etc.).
- Further develop and support the existing web search interface of the SDC (Java, HTML, JSP, Java-Script, Apache Tomcat, etc.).
- Work with the programming language Python and perform script programming tasks under Linux.
- Contribute to the design and security of IT and networks.
- Assist junior staff in their training as IT specialist in system integration.
- University degree or completed vocational training in computer science (B.Sc. or „Fachinformatik“), professional experience or equivalent qualification.
- Good understanding of data pipelines in container environments, operating systems (Linux), network concepts, network services, server architecture and server virtualisation.
- Experience as team player and communicator, willingness to assume responsibility and ability to work under pressure.
- Good oral and written command of English (the team communicates in English).
- Willingness to take on assignments at the observatory on Tenerife, Spain.
Knowledge and experience in any of the following areas will be an extra advantage:
- Relevant work experience.
- Knowledge in the provisioning and storage of large data volumes; support of Linux clusters and computers in high-performance computing environment, in particular:
- Experience with the platform for scientific data management Rucio.
- Experience with distributed file systems (dCache, XRootD) and related protocols, and with object file systems.
- Programming experience in languages such as IDL, Fortran, C, C++.
- Good general technical understanding and interest in natural sciences.
- Instructor’s licence (“Ausbildereignungsprüfung - AEVO”).
- Good oral and written command of German, knowledge of Spanish.
Your workplace will be in an attractive, demanding and varied field of activity, within a prestigious research institute with operations worldwide. The institute offers flexible working hours suited to family needs. It contributes to childcare expenses and also supports a wide range of training programmes.
Ideally, successful candidates should be willing to work on-site at the Leibniz-Institut für Sonnenphysik (KIS) headquarters in Freiburg, Germany. However, we would like to expressly encourage qualified applications also from candidates who are not able to move to the Freiburg area and who would mainly work remotely.
Recruitment and remuneration will be subject to TV-L.
At first, the position will be limited to 2 years.
The HR policy of Leibniz-Instituts für Sonnenphysik (KIS) is modelled on the principles of equal opportunities and diversity.
We would like to especially encourage women to apply for this position.
KIS strives to promote the reconciliation of work and family life. It is in this endeavour that, since 2014, the institute has been certified as family-friendly (berufundfamilie audit) and has been a member of the Freiburg network of family-friendly companies.
Please send your complete application in writing to the following address:
Leibniz-Institut für Sonnenphysik (KIS)
Stichwort: IT-Systemtechniker*in (m/w/d) im Bereich Container/Pipelineorchestrierung und Web-Anwendungsentwicklung
or by email to: [email protected]
General and legal information:
Priority will be given to candidates with severe disabilities who are equally qualified and suitable for the position.
As a general rule, full-time positions may be divided if this does not conflict with the interests of the institute or legal issues.
Applications will be screened continuously until a suitable candidate has been found.
Electronic applications will be considered only if the complete documentation is provided as one WORD or PDF file.