We invite applications for full professor positions at the NAOJ who conduct pioneering works by bringing new ideas and key innovation to astronomy. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate high-impact research with broad and deep knowledge of astronomical phenomena: for instance, a study of groundbreaking theory that can open up an opportunity for planning out the next-generation telescope(s)/instrument(s); an epoch-making discovery based on observation that can build up the standard model or exceed its prediction; and so on.
1. Job Title: Full Professor, a few positions
2. Division and Location: Division of Science, NAOJ, Mitaka, Tokyo 181-8588, Japan
3. Area of Expertise: astronomy and/or related fields
4. As ones of the lead scientists at the Division of Science, the successful candidates are also expected to explore the new possibilities of astronomy and to take the initiative in promoting scientific activities that make impact on relevant research fields as well. The responsibilities of this position require continuously demonstrating leadership and outstanding performance in research activities, and also fostering collaborations among NAOJ scientists to stimulate productivity of science by making the best use of NAOJ’s strengths. Fostering of young scientists including supervising students in the PhD’s program is also required as part of the responsibility.
5. Terms of Appointment:
Successful candidates may start the job as early as reasonably possible after accepting the job offer. The term of the contract will continue up to the end of the Japanese academic year in which the faculty reaches NAOJ's mandatory retirement age of 65. The probation period of six months is included.
6. Minimum Educational Requirement: Ph.D. or equivalent
7. Required Application Materials: (*To be prepared in English. Any other language will not be accepted.)
(1) A cover letter addressing your interest in the position,
(2) A curriculum vitae,
(3) Publications list (Separate refereed and non-refereed papers, and PI/corresponding author and co-I papers. The number of citations by ADS is required of each paper),
(4) A summary of your past research activities including international collaborations,
(5) A statement of your vision for the position including your research plan,
(6) Your address (e-mail and phone) for prompt contact and the email address of your current line manager,
(7) Five or more reference letters.
Note that your current supervisor or line manager cannot be your reference. All reference letters should be written by faculty/staff with tenured positions, and no more than two reference letters will be accepted from the same country.
Please ask your references to upload the letters directly to an NAOJ job application system shown in 9 before the deadline. Applicants are responsible for ensuring that the letters are submitted before the application deadline.
8. Application Deadline: 2020-02-28, 17:00 (Japan Standard Time)
Applicants are required to apply via the NAOJ job application system on the web: https://jobregister.nao.ac.jp/
Please fill out the form on the web and upload the documents specified on the application form. If it takes time to prepare the documents, applicants should be issued applicant ID and reference IDs in advance. Reference letters should be uploaded by persons who have written the letter for you directly, following the instruction shown on the application form. Reference IDs and passwords are required to upload reference letters, so please inform references of the issued reference IDs and passwords. The application documents should be converted to PDF (max 50MB each, 100MB in total, at most 10 files).
• Candidates selected in the final short list may be interviewed by the selection committee either via internet or face-to-face. The expense for the interview will not be covered by NAOJ.
• NAOJ is promoting equal opportunities for women in the workplace. For details, see http://open-info.nao.ac.jp/danjokyodo/
• Information submitted in your application documents will not be used for any purpose other than the selection process and for contacting you with necessary notices in connection with the selection. Once the selection process is complete, we will securely dispose of all application documents and personal information, except for those submitted by the successful candidate.