Education Scientist and ESAC Communication Officer
Vacancy in the Directorate of Science.
ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working environment. For this purpose, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates irrespective of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, beliefs, age, disability or other characteristics.
Applications from women are encouraged.
ESAC, Villanueva de la Cañada, Spain
You will report to the Head of the Science Division (H/SCI-SC) and be responsible for coordinating and managing the CESAR education initiative.
You will report functionally to the Head of the Outreach and Coordination Office (DG-CPO) and be responsible for coordinating ESA's corporate communication locally.
As a member of the Science Faculty, you are expected to pursue personal scientific research, as relevant, and workload permitting.
CESAR - Cooperation through Education in Science and Astronomy Research - is a joint initiative by ESA, the Instituto Nacional de Técnica Aeroespacial (INTA) and the Ingeniería de Sistemas para la Defensa de España, S.A. (ISDEFE) to promote and develop educational activities in Spain and Europe with the focus on exploration of the Solar System and the Universe, collaborating notably with the Directorate of Science and the different ESA SCI missions. Its activities are coordinated with the ESA Education Office, to ensure full coherency with ESA corporate education strategy and defined educational priorities.
As Education Scientist
You will be responsible for coordinating and managing the CESAR education initiative. In particular, you will be in charge of the definition, execution and monitoring of activities ensuring optimal use of SCI resources dedicated to CESAR.
The tasks include:
- coordinating with the main CESAR partners (INTA and ISDEFE);
- coordinating with the ESA Education Office to ensure integration of the CESAR initiative in the ESA education strategy;
- leading and actively participating in the development of educational material related to space, including creating educational scientific cases for astronomy, heliospheric and planetary science for primary and secondary schools through to universities;
- managing and developing regular interactive CESAR scientific classes for schoolteachers, both onsite at ESAC and online, including the annual Galileo Teacher Training Programme for schoolteachers in Europe;
- leading and actively participating in educational events, e.g. providing dedicated video-conferences to school and university students;
- ensuring the suitable installation, maintenance and remote operations of the CESAR telescopes and associated infrastructure, and developing online access for students across Europe;
- maintaining the CESAR educational website and ensuring all educational resources are available online;
- managing external support contracts to support CESAR educational activities and annual trainees;
- management of the defined available resources (budget and support services) and continuous reporting to SCI-SC and the ESA Education Office.
As ESAC Communication Officer
In the role of ESAC Communication Officer, you will report functionally to the Head of the Outreach Coordination Office. You will be responsible for local coordination of ESA's Corporate Communication policy in close cooperation with the Head of Establishment, and for local coordination of the ESA/ESAC Communication team in close cooperation with the Head of the Media Relations Office and Corporate Communication. You will be responsible for implementing the site communication policies, in line with policies in place across ESA.
The tasks include:
- activity planning, local team management and reporting for the ESA/ESAC Communication Office
- organising and coordinating communication, outreach and media activities for Spain and Portugal
- organising and coordinating ESAC communication activities
- organising and coordinating internal communication activities related to ESAC
- managing the ESA-Spain, ESA-Portugal, and ESA/ESAC web pages, as well as the ESA/ESAC intranet.
- Experience in research in space science
- Experience in Science Communication
- Experience in project management
- Experience in designing, developing and delivering educational activities
You should have a PhD or equivalent degree in physics or a space science and demonstrated extensive experience (a minimum of five years) in managing international space science education activities. A further degree in education and/or communication is an asset.
Excellent spoken and written communication in English and Spanish. Experience in writing educational cases.
Assets for this position include:
- Fluency in further ESA Member State languages
- Management of contracts
- Experience with small telescopes and telescope software
- The ability to liaise with different stakeholders, including officials/politicians, industry and academia.
At the Agency we value diversity and we welcome people with disabilities. Whenever possible, we seek to accommodate individuals with disabilities by providing the necessary support at the workplace. The Human Resources Department can also provide assistance during the recruitment process. If you would like to discuss this further please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications are only considered from nationals of one of the following States: Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and Canada, Latvia, Lithuania and Slovenia.
We are the European Space Agency. Our mission is the peaceful exploration and use of space for the benefit of everyone. We watch over Earth, develop and launch inspiring and unique space projects, train astronauts and push the boundaries of science and technology, seeking answers to the big questions about the Universe. We are a family of scientists, engineers and business professionals from all over Europe working together in a diverse and multinational environment. We are dedicated to united space in Europe and united Europe in space. Learn more: http://www.esa.int/
The closing date for applications is 05 July 2021.
For a full job description, please click the "Apply" button.