The X-ray Astronomical Instrumentation Lab of Dr. Casey DeRoo at the University of Iowa has an open position for a postdoctoral research scholar. We are looking for an independent, motivated researcher interested in developing technologies for high-energy astronomy. This research position is targeted towards the continued development of X-ray optics and grating technologies already studied by our group for sounding rockets and small satellite instruments. However, applicants are encouraged to develop their own additional projects or initiatives, especially those related to high-energy astronomy or astronomical instrumentation.
The ideal applicant for the position possesses the following attributes:
- Must have completed a PhD in Physics, Astronomy, or related discipline
- Has experience in microfabrication techniques and process development (e.g. photolithography, nanoimprint lithography, wet/dry etching, thin film deposition, etc.)
- Has experience with metrology and characterization of optics (e.g. surface profilometry, interferometry, wavefront sensing, etc.)
- Has experience in mechanical and/or instrument design (e.g. CAD, raytracing)
- Is able to work both independently and in a team setting
- Is capable of effectively supervising student researchers
The position is available immediately, and is available for up to 3 years contingent on performance. Interested applicants should upload a CV that includes at least two references, and a statement of interest that includes earliest date of availability. Full applications must be submitted electronically at https://jobs.uiowa.edu/postdoc/view/3199.
The Department of Physics & Astronomy and the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences are strongly committed to diversity; the strategic plans of the University and College reflect this commitment. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.