BlackSky, a division of Spaceflight Industries, is a geospatial intelligence solutions provider that enables organizations to task, collect, and transform data from earth observation, global sensor networks, mobile devices, and social media to deliver on-demand insights about places, events, and assets that are critical to their operations. Blacksky provides satellite collection, data, and cloud based -processing and analytic solutions to organizations that are capitalizing on the exponential growth of a wide range of sensor and collection platforms for delivering the next generation of GEOINT and location intelligence solutions. BlackSky has extensive expertise and capabilities in commercial remote sensing, multi-source analytics, cloud computing, open source software development, Amazon Web Services, and big data geospatial analytics. BlackSky provides solutions to commercial and government organizations with relevant programs with the National Geospatial Intelligence Agency (NGA), US. Army, and U.S. Air Force Research Labs.
- Develop the processes and tools to autonomously characterize, monitor, and improve the performance of on-orbit imaging systems
- Commission each new imaging system after launch
- Resolve any on-orbit failures or anomalies that arise during the life of the imaging system
- Support the design of future imaging systems
- Support the ground qualification and test of future imaging systems
- Leverage imaging system understanding to improve the portfolio of BlackSky imagery products
- Deliver imagery products that power our geospatial knowledge engine
- Developing Intra-constellation normalization and a thorough understanding of our imaging systems are therefore critical to the BlackSky mission.
- The Image Processing Engineer will own the development of the tools and processes to characterize, monitor, and improve the on-orbit performance of BlackSky imaging systems.
- Support the design and ground testing of the imaging system.
- Use her or his knowledge of the imaging system to enhance and expand the portfolio of BlackSky imagery products
- Ph. D., M. S., B. S., or B. A. in Astronomy, Physics, Computer Science or related engineering fields
- 3+ years developing image processing or computer vision algorithms
- 3+ years developing software in Python
- 3+ years working with an operational imaging system
- A strong mathematical base in algorithm development, numerics, data processing, and uncertainty propagation
- A personality that enjoys working in a dynamic, multi-task environment
- Motivation to self-teach and the ability to thrive on challenging problems
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Must be a U.S. Person (U.S. Citizen or Green Card holder)
- Experience developing image-processing and analysis pipelines
- Experience working with CCD and CMOS sensors
- Experience working with reflective and/or refractive telescopes
- Experience in the calibration and testing of an imaging system
- Experience in the systems engineering and optical design of an imaging system
- Strong knowledge of image processing techniques grounded in the physical realities and limitations of hardware systems
- Comfortable with both hardware and software
- Experience being collaborative and working across an organization
Spaceflight Industries is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer All Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
EEO/AAP/ Pay Transparency Statements: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf