The Thirty Meter Telescope (TMT) project has been established to design, build and eventually operate an Extremely Large Telescope (ELT) with a primary mirror diameter of 30 meters. ELT’s will be the successors of the present day 8-10 meter world class telescopes. When complete TMT will be the largest ground based optical/infrared telescope in the Northern Hemisphere providing the capability to study exciting astronomical problems from the nature of extra-solar planets to the first stars in the universe. An international collaboration consisting of the University of California, the California Institute of Technology, Canada, Japan, India and China has been formed to deliver this exciting project.
The TMT project office (PO) is located in Pasadena, CA, USA. The design and build of the various telescope systems will be distributed amongst the TMT partner institutions, collaborators, industry, and the Project Office.
The TMT project is looking for individuals who are self-motivated team players and excited by the opportunity to work on a highly visible, world class, international project that will significantly advance our understanding of the universe.
The Production Support Engineer (PSE) will be a key member of the project team that will insure the successful delivery of this challenging project.
TMT India has the responsibility of fabricating and delivering the following build to print, critical assemblies as a part of India’s workshare agreement; Segment Support Assemblies, M1CS Actuators, Sensors, and Segment Controller and Cables. The prime responsibility of the PSE is to work closely with the India TMT Coordination Center (ITCC) and the TMT Controls, Optics, and Quality Assurance and Control (QA/QC) groups to insure the successful delivery of these assemblies. The PSE will be a member of the Telescope Department and reports to Controls Group Lead.
The PSE will spend at least 75% of his/her time in India working at the various ITCC institutions with the remainder of time at the TMT Project Office (TMT PO) in Pasadena, California. Some travel to the observatory site on the Big Island of Hawaii may be necessary during the latter phases of the project.
The successful applicant will be proactive, detail orientated, and innovative in his/her approach to meeting project goals.
- Work with the TMT PO, ITCC, and TMT contractors to insure the successful delivery of ITCC’s build to print workshare.
- Facilitate efficient, timely, and open communication between the TMT PO and ITCC and an efficient TMT PO decision making process during production.
- In coordination with ITCC identify suppliers for ITCC’s build to print workshare.
- Participate in TMTPO/ITCC meetings dealing with India’s build to print workshare.
- Support the development and implementation of Work Packages for the fabrication of ITCC’s build to print workshare.
- Support oversight and monitoring of PO-ITCC production work packages in terms of performance, schedule, cost, risk, and earned value.
- Support the TMT PO in ensuring that production documentation packages, including assembly, inspection, and test procedures; are correct and complete, up to date, and properly controlled.
- Work with ITCC and TMT PO QC/QA staff, to ensure that TMT suppliers are following the required quality control and assurance processes.
- Participate in ITCC meetings with suppliers. Independently assess performance and schedule risk. Raise concerns with ITCC and the TMTPO.
- Work with ITCC, TMT Optics, Controls and QC/QA staff to develop tooling and jigs, in-process inspection requirements and processes, as well as final acceptance test procedures and processes.
- Respond to non-conformance reports (NCRs) as appropriate and participate in the TMT PO Material Review Board as necessary.
- Collaborate with the ITCC, TMT Optics, Controls and QC/QA staff to solve systematic production problems and issues.
- Support ITCC in the development, implementation, and administration of inventory and shipping/receiving processes and logistics
- Represent, as appropriate, the TMT PO for the purpose of final acceptance of ITCC’s build to print workshare and their respective end item documentation packages.
- Seek out, investigate, and propose additional ways in which the PSE can support ITCC.
- Eight years of related experience including working on multi-cultural geographically diverse projects
- A Bachelor's degree in engineering plus working knowledge of quality control and quality assurance processes.
- Working knowledge of precision machining, manufacturing and inspection processes.
- Experience managing moderate volume manufacturing projects involving precision machining with budgets of at least $5M US.
- A broad multi-disciplinary engineering background.
- Ability to work legally in the United States as well as in India.
- Ability to spend 75% of his/her time in India. Past experience working in India is a plus.
- Working knowledge of CAD drawing, interpretation of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T).
- Demonstrated use of “soft skills” e.g. interpersonal and communication skills, team building, working with people from different cultures and non-English languages, and experience of “leading from the middle”.
- Familiarity with ISO 9000 and AS9100 regulations and procedures.
- Experience with gold coatings, lithographic, and laser etching processes
- Experience with manufacturing of electronic assemblies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including use of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and electronic email systems.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
TMT is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.