The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) seeks a scientist for our Office of Public Outreach (OPO). This position will primarily support the public engagement activities for the James Webb Space Telescope, as well as the Hubble Space Telescope and the NASA’s Universe of Learning science education program.
As an outreach scientist, you will work with a multi-disciplinary team, including scientists, educators, writers, designers, developers, and more. You will contribute your scientific expertise and creativity to products, programs, and experiences for a wide range of audiences. You will act as a liaison between OPO staff, STScI staff and partners, and the science community and serve as a scientific expert in product and program development incorporating discoveries, missions, and people from across NASA Astrophysics.
Are you passionate about communicating astronomy and enabling science learning?
In this position, you will have the opportunity to work in areas such as: video and online products, exhibits, hands-on activities, large-scale public events, and engagement of audiences traditionally underserved/underrepresented.
Your major responsibilities will include:
• Identifying and leading development of key scientific storylines and messages for public engagement and science education resources
• Incorporating NASA Astrophysics science and missions into creative and scientifically accurate products, programs, events, and professional development
• Crafting and delivering scientifically accurate presentations and demonstrations of astrophysics science stories at a range of audience levels
• Leading development and organization of STScI’s exhibit presence at scientific conferences, working in close collaboration with STScI’s science community
• Reviewing and ensuring scientific accuracy of OPO products
• Ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders, in order to define project requirements and scope and report on project status
• Ability to communicate and effectively work with members of both the science and education/outreach communities
• Ability to lead and facilitate multi-disciplinary teams and projects involving individuals from different organizations, disciplines, and backgrounds
• Ability to work independently, as well as to work collaboratively and effectively in multi-disciplinary teams. This includes ability to contribute as part of a team and build consensus by actively listening, and giving and receiving constructive feedback
• Strong project management and organizational skills, including the ability to plan, manage, and execute multiple tasks within schedule and scope
• Ability to analyze and solve problems, with an attention to detail
• Knowledgeable of HST, JWST, other NASA Astrophysics missions and research programs, and ground-based astronomical observatories and surveys
• Ph.D. in Astronomy or Physics;
• Three years of related experience in science education or outreach preferred;
• Science expertise in infrared astronomy, high redshift universe, and/or exoplanet research
• Two to three years postdoctoral experience;
This is a five-year term contract position providing comprehensive medical benefits, generous leave and retirement! There could be an option for extension. Your office will be located on the JHU Homewood campus. There are flexible schedules and free parking. Due to the nature of the work, this is not a position that easily lends itself to teleworking.
Are you interested in applying?
Submit an on-line application, including resume and cover letter to the direct link below. Applications received by February 16, 2020, will receive full consideration.
Direct Link: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SPA1004AURA/JobBoard/93330e50-7b3a-4ba8-...
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to build a premier scientific community. We reflect that deep dedication in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, STScI does not discriminate because of race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, or mental or physical handicap.
Individuals with disabilities, veterans or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
Explore careers at STScI: www.stsci.edu/opportunities