The Bay Area Environmental Research (BAER) Institute, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization focused on enabling and conducting research in earth and space science, is seeking a Research Scientist for the exoplanet speckle imaging group, which operates multiple high-resolution instruments, and some of the most advanced optical telescopes in the world. The dual-channel optical speckle imagers are: Alopeke, NESSI, Zorro, and DSSI, and are installed at the Gemini-N, WIYN, Gemini-S, and Discovery Channel telescopes, respectively. The instruments share a common data reduction process and data archive. The position will be located at NASA’s Ames Research Center (ARC), Moffett Field, CA, and is initially for three years.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Obtaining detailed knowledge of our data reduction pipeline.
- Determining and publishing instrumental/observational metrics such as S/N, contrast limits, etc.
- Maintaining and updating user and pipeline software.
- Working with the NASA Exoplanet Archive (NExSCI) to ingest the speckle pipeline, imaging data, data products (including development of new/improved products), and the user community.
- Creating, revising, and maintaining documentation on the preparation of speckle observations and the reduction of data.
- Supporting the project in the design and implementation of outreach, including a webpage, to increase awareness about the use of speckle data.
- Participating in the observing programs at various telescopes.
- Participating in the writing of funding proposals.
- Developing your own research program.
- Ph.D degree in astronomy, physics, or a related field.
- At least one year of experience in a scientific or research organization.
- At least one year of experience in observational astronomy.
- Experience in scientific computation, including knowledge of C, Tcl, GTK, IDL, Python and/or other common scientific computational software platforms.
- Experience with version control software.
- Experience with high-resolution imaging or exoplanet research.
- A record of independent research and publications.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others on a team.
- Willingness to work night-time hours.
- Interested applicants who reside outside of the San Francisco Bay Area must be willing to relocate within commuting distance of NASA Ames Research Center at their own expense.
- The individual selected for this position must be able to pass a security clearance.
- $65,000 - $75,000 per year, depending on experience and qualifications.
Our benefits package helps to make the BAER Institute a great place to work. It includes:
- Competitive health care plans: medical, dental & vision, for full-time employees who work 30 hours per week or more. 100% of premium is paid by BAER Institute for the employee; spouse and dependents can be added for nominal premium contributions.
- Basic group-term life insurance (including accidental death and dismemberment)
- Short- and long-term disability insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Commuter benefits program
- 10 paid holidays
- 15 days of vacation leave per year for the first three years (increases to 20 days after three years of service)
- 12 days of sick leave per year
- Generous 403(b) retirement plan. BAER Institute will contribute 10% of the eligible employee’s gross salary to a defined-contribution account, with an optional employee contribution to a tax-deferred annuity account
- Flexible work schedules and telecommute options
- On-site gym with no membership fee
- On-site child care
How to Apply
Submit a cover letter and CV to the BAER Institute Human Resources Office at email@example.com. In your cover letter please specify this is for the Research Scientist position, Exoplanet Speckle Imaging Group. All candidates must also provide a list of publications, and a list of at least 3 people willing to provide letters of reference.
Application packages must be received by no later than September 15, 2018.
Desired start date: November 1, 2018.
The Bay Area Environmental Research Institute is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability that requires accommodation, please let us know by sending a request to the Human Resources Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about BAER Institute, please visit https://baeri.org.