The Department of Physics and Astronomy of the University of Iowa invites applications for an Astronomy Laboratory Coordinator and Observatory Manager.
We seek a colleague with demonstrated experience in hands-on astronomical observations and instrumentation, a desire to collaborate, and strong leadership and communication skills, and a strong enthusiasm for public outreach. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who share our goal of building a diverse community.
The successful applicant will be responsible for:
- Laboratory instruction and support for astronomical observations across the Department’s astronomy curriculum, making use of both the on-campus Van Allen Observatory and the Iowa Robotic Observatory, a research-grade facility in Southern Arizona.
- Management and maintenance of the Van Allen Observatory and the Iowa Robotic Observatory’s instrumentation and facilities.
- Curricular innovation to help shape hands-on, active learning instructional materials, from introductory astronomy courses for non-majors to advanced opportunities for upper-level astronomy and physics students.
- Training and management of graduate teaching assistants in astronomy courses.
- Coordination of public outreach activities involving the Van Allen Observatory and other local outreach events.
Review job details and apply at http://jobs.uiowa.edu, reference requisition 18000739.
The Department and the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences are strongly committed to diversity; the strategic plans of the University and College reflect this commitment. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.