Astronomy & Astrophysics - Postdoctoral Researcher
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Come join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where we apply science and technology to make the world a safer place; now one of 2019 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher who will apply their knowledge in mathematical, statistical, and numerical modeling to the interpretation of astronomical sky surveys for characterizing transient phenomena, dark matter, and dark energy. You will also develop methods and models to explore the foundations of machine learning and applications of novel computing architectures to the solution of machine learning and scientific data analysis problems. This position is in the Astronomy & Astrophysics Analytics group in Applied Physics Section of the Physics Division.
- Work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team to analyze astronomical survey data for scientific insights and applications of novel computing and modeling approaches.
- Develop statistical Bayesian models, hierarchical models, machine learning methods, numerical algorithms, and artificial intelligence models.
- Perform Monte Carlo computations, apply uncertainty quantification to computational physics modeling.
- Conduct High Performance and distributed computing projects in support of scientific research aims.
- Present formal and informal overview of research progress at weekly meetings.
- Conduct self-initiated research, maintain an awareness of technical literature in assigned areas, publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals and present results at external conferences, seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in physics, astronomy, or a related field.
- Knowledgeable in Bayesian modeling, image processing, or machine learning.
- Experience in mathematical or statistical modeling of scientific data.
- Ability to perform independent research, find innovative solutions and produce significant accomplishments to scientific and technical problems.
- Experience working on a research team with individuals from diverse technical backgrounds, as well as function as an independent researcher with a high level of attention to details.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to work in a multidisciplinary team environment, author technical and scientific reports and publications and deliver scientific presentations.
- Experience with optical astronomy data analysis especially asteroid detection.
- Experience with algorithms, computer architecture design or high performance computing.
- Experience with data reduction pipeline development.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a two year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $2.1 billion, employing approximately 6,800 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://apptrkr.com/1712552