TriVector Services, Inc. provides quality aerospace engineering solutions to complex problems through a renowned team of engineering professionals. We are an SBA-certified Small Business headquartered in Huntsville, Alabama. Our experienced team is dedicated to building lasting partnerships based on professional integrity and sound engineering principles. TriVector’s Experience and exceptional Performance adds measurable Value to every project. We have an opening for an Astronomer.
As an Astronomer, the candidate will assist the Meteoroid Environment Office (MEO), located within the MSFC, in defining the meteoroid environment as it pertains to spacecraft design and risk. The candidate will carry out fundamental/original research in the meteor/meteoroid discipline, develop software and tools to analyze meteor-related data, conduct any required astronomical observations, and respond with quick-turnaround analyses of bright meteor events (“skyfalls”) occurring over the United States.
- Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing, and assisting in the development of, models and simulations pertaining to the meteoroid environment, including meteoroid structure/properties and the Solar System small bodies associated with meteoroids.
- Possess the ability to solve problems, determine objectives and requirements, organize projects, provide innovative approaches, and develop standards and guides for diverse activities.
- Analyzing observational data collected from telescopes, cameras, radiometers, or other instrumentation.
- Conducting observations of meteors and their parent bodies; monitoring the Moon for flashes caused by meteoroid impacts.
- Presenting results to the NASA customer and at conferences. Publishing results in the appropriate journals. Delivering quick-turnaround characterizations of skyfall events to the MEO customer.
Qualified candidate must have:
- At least 2 first-author publications in a peer-reviewed journal.
- Extensive experience coding in Python and being familiar with software tools such as Git.
- Good knowledge of statistics.
- Experience in operating telescopes or observational astronomy coursework.
- Demonstrate strong technical writing and presentation skills in order to present data to internal and external customers.
- Strong customer relations skills.
- Ability to multi-task and transition between quick turnaround assignments.
- Show initiative and be proactive to make connections and build relationships with key players on the tasks.
- Demonstrate the capability to plan and perform analyses independently and within a team.
- Research experience in Solar System small bodies is highly desired.
Doctorate in Astronomy, Physics, or similar field from an accredited institution, and at least 5 years experience in said field required.
Security Clearance: U.S. Citizenship is required for this position.
TriVector Services offers its employees a competitive benefits package. We provide extensive health, life, and disability insurance plans, along with coverage for both dental and vision. We also offer a competitive 401(K) to help you plan for retirement, and employees have the option of adding supplementary insurance and spending plans on top of company-provided benefits. All full-time employees receive annual paid time off and 10 paid Government holidays.
TriVector Services is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.