The Center for Computational Astrophysics (CCA) at the Simons Foundation’s Flatiron Institute seeks temporary full-time research analysts as part of its Pre-Doctoral Program.
The aim of this program is to provide graduate students from institutions worldwide the opportunity to be employed at the CCA for about 4.5 months for the purpose of working on a research project with one or more CCA staff mentors as well as expanding collaborative networks. The project should be distinct from but complementary to the student’s thesis. The program is open to individuals who are currently pursuing a Ph.D in a relevant field. Students who currently have limited access to computational astrophysics resources and mentorship are especially encouraged to apply.
Before applying, candidates for this position must contact one or more potential mentors, and the prospective mentor(s) must approve of the candidate’s possible participation in the program and commit to serving as mentor in order for the candidate’s application to be considered. The proposed mentor(s) must be specified on the application. Mentors who are full-time CCA staff (indicated on the mentor list) will be prioritized: on average, 70-80% of offers will be made to students working with full-time staff. For further details about the program and a full list of mentors’ potential projects and descriptions of broad research interests, please visit: https://www.simonsfoundation.org/grant/flatiron-institute-center-for-com...
This position will be based on-site at the Foundation’s offices in New York City.
- Currently enrolled in a Ph.D. program in a field relevant to the proposed research
- At least 1-2 years of advanced coursework in a relevant field
- Demonstrated understanding of basic research skills. Please note that extensive research experience is not required for this position.
Related Skills and Other Requirements
- Some basic technical skills (e.g. basic Linux, some experience with Python or similar)
- Technical and scientific curiosity
- Professional communication skills
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- CV and publication list
- Description of previous research experience (not to exceed two (2) pages, including figures and references)
- Research proposal of not more than two (2) pages (including figures and references) outlining planned work at CCA
- Two (2) letters of recommendation submitted confidentially by the letter writers to [email protected]. One letter must be from the applicant’s Ph.D. supervisor and must explicitly approve the applicant’s possible participation in the Pre-Doctoral Program.
- All applications must be submitted no later than April 15, 2023.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- The full-time annualized compensation for this position is $60,000, which will be prorated for the ~4.5 month term.
- This position is eligible for some benefits.
THE SIMONS FOUNDATION'S DIVERSITY COMMITMENT
Many of the greatest ideas and discoveries come from a diverse mix of minds, backgrounds and experiences, and we are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment. The Simons Foundation actively seeks a diverse applicant pool and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply. We provide equal opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic disposition, neurodiversity, disability, veteran status, or any other protected category under federal, state and local law.