Northwestern University expects to offer postdoctoral positions in astronomy and astrophysics starting in fall 2018.
These positions will be part of the Center for Interdisciplinary Exploration and Research in Astrophysics (CIERA) at Northwestern, and successful applicants will benefit from interaction with a broad interdisciplinary group of researchers.
Of particular interest this year are candidates who will work with:
- Prof. Claude-André Faucher-Giguère on galaxy formation modeling (including cosmological simulations, star formation and stellar feedback, supermassive black hole growth and feedback, IGM and CGM predictions, and mock HST/JWST observations),
- Prof. Wen-fai Fong on observations of explosive transients and their host environments, including gamma-ray bursts and gravitational wave sources, using ground- and space-based facilities (radio, optical, IR, X-rays),
- Prof. Vicky Kalogera on gravitational-wave data analysis and astrophysical interpretation of gravitational-wave measurements,
- Prof. Raffaella Margutti on broad-band observations (Gamma-rays to radio) and modeling of Astronomical Transients (including SuperLuminous Supernovae, Strongly Interacting Supernovae, Engine-Driven Stellar Explosions, Gamma-Ray Bursts, Tidal Disruption Events and unusual transients that still lack a theoretical interpretation),
- Prof. Giles Novak on observations of magnetic fields in star forming regions via polarimetry of dust emission at far-IR through mm wavelengths,
- Prof. Fred Rasio on the modeling of dense star clusters (globular clusters, galactic nuclei), and, in particular, the dynamical formation of GW sources, X-ray binaries, and binary pulsars, or
- Prof. Alexander Tchekhovskoy on modeling compact object accretion and ejection in a wide range of astrophysical contexts (including compact object mergers, magnetic stellar explosions, gamma-ray bursts, X-ray binaries, ultra-luminous X-ray sources, tidal disruptions, and active galactic nuclei).
We note that Northwestern has institutional access to several mid- and large-scale optical/IR ground-based telescope facilities, including Keck and MMT, which postdoctoral researchers will be able to use for their work.
Please submit applications electronically at https://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/9518. Applications should include a CV (including a list of publications with the most important 1 to 3 publications indicated with an asterisk), a three-page statement of research accomplishments and plans, and arrange for at least three letters of recommendation to be uploaded to Academic Jobs Online. Applications received by December 1st, 2017 will receive full consideration. Later applications will be considered until all positions are filled.
Please state that you are applying for an Astronomy & Astrophysics Postdoctoral position in your cover letter. If you wish to apply for other Northwestern astronomy-related postdoctoral positions simultaneously, submit a single copy of your application materials and specify all positions in your cover letter. Applicants must complete their Ph.D. requirements prior to appointment.
CIERA has a strong commitment to the achievement of excellence through diversity among its faculty and staff. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.