Our client, American Astronomical Society (AAS) Sky Publishing is the major organization of professional astronomers in North America. Their mission is to enhance and share humanity's scientific understanding of the universe. The organization provides a flexible work environment with exceptional benefits.
The organization is seeking a Webmaster to work with outside contractors to overhaul Sky & Telescope websites, skyandtelescope.com and shopatsky.com. Once complete, role will shift to maintaining the websites’ technologies. While the Sky & Telescope office is located in Cambridge, MA, this position may be a remote position, working anywhere in the United States. The ideal candidate will have the flexibility to occasionally travel to the corporate offices in Cambridge, MA and/or Washington, DC.
If you like to be depended upon to help an organization deliver a core service, this may be the opportunity for you! Here’s what you’ll enjoy doing:
- Taking the lead on improving existing web properties.
- Maintaining content, adding products, promotions, and ensuring site security.
- Enabling new technologies on the Sky & Telescope website as needed (e.g., special sections, infographics, live webcasts of observing events, etc.).
- Creating and sending weekly newsletters using Constant Contact.
- Managing and growing social media accounts, such as Twitter, Facebook and Instagram
Our ideal candidate possesses:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field and 5 years’ experience creating and maintaining websites.
- Strongly proficient knowledge of the following:
- Content Management Systems, WordPress preferred;
- Email services, Constant Contact preferred;
- Social media platforms; and
- Desktop publishing and word-processing software, MS Office and Adobe CS preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills with ability to prioritize tasks effectively.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to comfortably interact with employees at all levels, as well as vendors and contractors.
- A strong work ethic with ability to demonstrate initiative and be self-directed in work.
- Knowledge of astronomy preferred.
Your efforts will be rewarded with challenging work and a competitive compensation and benefits package (including a pension plan that contributes 10% of your salary a year). If this sounds like a job for you, please reach out; we want to hear from you! All inquires should be directed to Laura Donohoe at Laura@peopleworksllc.com.