Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
IPAC, in the Physics, Math, and Astronomy Division at Caltech, provides science operations, user support, data and archive services, and scientific vision to enhance discovery with observatories both in space and on the ground. The Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope is a NASA observatory designed to address key questions in the areas of dark energy, exoplanets and infrared astrophysics. It is slated for launch in the mid-2020’s. IPAC invites applications for a software applications developer from highly qualified individuals for a full-time position to work with the Roman team at IPAC. Fully remote work is not possible with this position.
Essential Job Duties
As an Applications Developer, you will work with the engineering and scientific team members on tasks which include developing astrophysics data processing algorithms, building these algorithms into both prototype and production-quality data-processing pipelines in a cloud environment, and developing scripts to direct instrument operations. You will also help the team interpret and implement project requirements and document the work that you’ve accomplished.
If you have the following in your background, then we want to hear about your interest in joining our team:
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree in a technical subject such as Astronomy, Physics, Math, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Sciences, or a related field.
- Experience as a software developer in a cloud environment using core AWS services (specifically any of the following: S3, ECR, or EKS).
- Familiarity with software configuration management principles and tools, source code version control (e.g., git/GitHub) and issue/bug tracking systems (e.g., Jira).
- Ability to work well in a diverse team and to document work.
- Applicants for this position must be a United States (US) person as defined by ITAR regulations - A US person is a citizen of the United States, a lawful permanent resident alien of the US (“Green Card” holder), or individuals granted refugee and Asylee status under US law.
Beyond these basic qualifications, there are a set of skills and experiences which will add to your ability to contribute to the roles and responsibilities of an IPAC Applications Developer. The following might give you a head-start here, but even if these do not describe you or your experience, we would still like to hear from you:
- Advanced degree in Astronomy, Physics, Math, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Sciences or related field.
- Experience working with scientific data sets and data analysis.
- Experience with CI/CD and infrastructure as code within a cloud environment (AWS CloudFormation).
- Experience with developing software in a Unix/Linux environment using Python and/or C.
- Short Cover Letter
Applications will be considered immediately, and the position will be open until filled. Applications accepted via Caltech website only.
People choose to work at IPAC for many reasons, and the casual, employee-centric culture often leads to fulfilling, long-term careers and positive relationships. Caltech’s benefits program offers a quality, competitive benefits package that is affordable for you and the Institute. We also offer a 403(b) defined contribution plan to eligible staff as well as a Voluntary Retirement Savings (TDA) Plan. IPAC staff have access to the Institute’s facilities, including the athletic center, libraries, on-site daycare, professional development and enrichment classes, and Athenaeum club membership.
$40.00 - $45.00 Per Hour
The salary of the finalist(s) selected for this role will be set based on a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, experience, education, specialty and training.
As one of the largest employers in Pasadena, CA, Caltech is committed to providing comprehensive benefits to eligible employees and their eligible dependents. Our benefits package includes competitive compensation, health, dental, and vision insurance, retirement savings plans, generous paid time off (vacation, holidays, sick time, parental leave, bereavement, etc.), tuition reimbursement, and more. Non-benefit eligible employees will have access to some benefits such as onsite counseling and sick time. Learn more about our benefits and staff perks.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
To read more Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) go to eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf.
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caltech Recruiting at [email protected].