The NAOJ Chile Observatory invites applications for two NAOJ Project Research Fellow positions stationed in Tokyo to promote ALMA/ASTE science and to support the operation of the telescopes.
1. Number of vacancies: two
2. Duty station is NAOJ in Mitaka, Tokyo, Japan, with possible business trips to Chile, Europe, North America and/or Taiwan.
3. Successful candidate will work on their own scientific research related to ALMA/ASTE (including the archival data) . We welcome research proposals that involve collaborators inside or outside the NAOJ Chile Observatory. In addition, the successful candidate will be involved in the operation and user support of the NAOJ Chile Observatory, who operates ALMA and the ASTE 10 m radio telescope. Observatory duties include
- Contribution to the ALMA operation (e.g., reduction of interferometric data, user support such as observing script generation or helpdesk, etc), or development (hardware or software). In addition, the candidate will be involved in promoting scientific activities such as organization and support of science workshops.
4. The term starts on April 1, 2018 or later for one position, and June 1, 2018 or later for the second position. The term is for three years, subject to annual review. At the end of the contract term, there is the possibility of extending the contract up to two years, based on a review. If the applicant had been the project research fellow of NAOJ or a Researcher (Part-time Contract Employee) before, then the term may be adjusted so that the total length of employment does not exceed five years.
5. The applicant must have a PhD degree as of March 31, 2018, or is expected to have it by September 30, 2018.
6. A good command of English language is essential. Fluency in Japanese will be preferable, but not required.
7. Application documents must be prepared in English, and must include;
(1) a curriculum vitae,
(2) a summary of past research activities,
(3) a list of publications (Separate refereed and non-refereed papers. For co-authored papers, list all the names of authors.)
(4) PDF copy of three major publications
(5) an outline of research plans. This must include both the plan of your own scientific research and the plan for contribution to the observatory duties.
8. The applicant must arrange TWO letters of recommendation, to be sent directly from the person recommending the applicant. The names of the persons should be identified in the application cover letter.
9. The application documents and the recommendation letter must be received by 12:00 JST (03:00 UT), November 16, 2017
10. If you do not receive a confirmation email within three working days, please notify the inquiry address.
11. Application documents and recommendation letters should be sent to:
alma-postdoc-application<AT>alma.mtk.nao.ac.jp (replace <AT> with @）
Mail subject: Application (or Recommendation) for NAOJ Postdoctoral Research Fellow
12. The fellow will receive a monthly salary of 350,000 JPY plus compensation for commuting expenses (up to 55,000 JPY per month), and annual research funds of 500,000 JPY. Social insurance will be applied. Bonus and retirement allowances are not provided. The travel and relocation costs to NAOJ will be covered, subject to the travel regulations of NINS (the details have to be arranged with the administration office). The qualification to apply for Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research is given. Fellows are entitled to acquire a short term science leave.