The IAC (Tenerife) invites applications for ONE postdoctoral contract to work on topics within the research line “Solar Physics”. This contract is financed by the "SEVERO OCHOA PROGRAM" (SEV-2015-0548), supported by the Spanish Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness. It follows the selection of the IAC as a Severo Ochoa Center of Excellence by the Spanish Government in 2015, a recognition awarded for the second time to the IAC as a leading research institute in Spain.
Research topics at the IAC include most areas of astrophysics: solar physics, planetary systems, stellar and interstellar physics, galactic formation and evolution, and cosmology and astroparticles. These research lines are supported by an ambitious instrumentation program. Further information about the IAC's research programme, its Observatories and the 10.4m GTC is available at the IAC's web page (http://www.iac.es/).
Duties: The selected candidate will pursue research related to one or several of the following fields:
- Theoretical or observational research of physical structures and processes in the solar atmosphere and interior
- Development and/or application of novel techniques for solar physics research, either analytical, numerical or based on observations with earth-bound or space telescopes.
- Plasma physics and magnetohydrodynamics, atomic physics, spectropolarimetry and radiation transfer or helioseismology, in any case applied to solar physics topics.
Position requirements: The candidates must have a solid track record of research and are expected to have a strong publication record in the field of Solar Physics.
Qualification requirements: To be eligible for admission, applicants must have obtained a Ph.D. degree in Astrophysics or Physics, within the application deadline (April 30, 2018). A copy of the degree or corresponding stamped certificate (issued by the University where the degree was obtained), must be included. Applicants who have not completed the Ph.D. degree within the application deadline will not be considered.
Merits to be evaluated:
a) Scientific and technical contributions to the research field:
- Scientific publications (judged according to their quality) included in the Science Citation Index (SCI); contributions to international conferences; teaching duties; participation in scientific committees and conference organization; referee for prestigious international journals; stays and appointments in prestigious research centers.
Maximum score: 60 points.
b) Adequacy of the prior training and experience of the candidate to the offered position. Of particular interest are:
- Research using theoretical and/or numerical modelling.
- Research that combines theoretical and observational aspects, including plasma diagnostic techniques.
- Observational research and/or development of solar instrumentation.
- The candidates must show promise to be in a position to carry out leading-edge solar research in solar physics in the coming years.
Maximum score: 40 points.
In order to guarantee coverage of the effective equality of men and women, and developing the provisions of the Second Plan of Equality of the IAC, the merit values will be measured when certain documented situations exist, which can be presumed that they may diminish the performance of the personnel, with the aim that they do not detract from the evaluation of the career of each applicant. In any case, the following are considered to be special situations:
- Maternity, up to 18 months after the date of birth or adoption.
- Paternity, enjoyed as provided by Social Security, for the duration of the corresponding permit.
- Severe illness or accident with medical leave for a minimum of 3 months.
- Care for dependents for a minimum period of 3 months, as provided by Law 39/2006.
- Work Permits for care of dependent children or adults.
Training: Those candidates who have done their Ph.D. research at the IAC must have undertaken a period of training in other research centres. This period must consist of either one continuous year or 18 accumulated months (including periods of training during their doctoral period).
Duration: The preferred starting date should be within the first half of 2018. The contract will be extended until December 31, 2019 (end of the project).
Remuneration: The gross annual salary is 33,547 Euros, subject to up to 20% tax and Social Security deductions (depending on the personal situation of the candidate). Medical insurance under the Spanish National Health Service will be provided for the candidate and will also cover spouse or registered partner (de facto partner) and children (if relevant).
Relocation allowance: This call includes a relocation allowance (only for the selected candidate) comprising: the cost of the flight ticket (booked and issued by the IAC), temporary accommodation for up to two weeks (organised by the IAC) and per diem rate up to two weeks. The maximum IAC will reimburse is 2,000 Euros.
Non-UE citizens: Applicants who are not citizen of a country belonging to the European Union are invited to apply for this position, but, if selected, will be allowed to sign the contract with the IAC only after obtaining the compulsory documentation required to live and work in Spain.
How to apply: use the online application system, http://www.iac.es/jobs/research/, including the required information and documents. Alternatively, follow the instructions in the official announcement (only in Spanish).
The required documentation must be submitted using the online application system and received by the application deadline. The application form, CV, publication list, statements of research interests and suitability for the position, copy of the Ph.D. degree, and copy of the national identity or passport should be merged into a single PDF file. . In addition, the names and e-mails of three scientists familiar with the work of the candidate must be indicated.
Late applications or those that do not include the mandatory Application Form (Annex I), will not be considered. In case of incomplete applications, the applicant will have a period of five (5) days, starting from the day after publication of the provisional list of accepted and excluded candidates, to provide the missing documentation.