Bring your passion for what you do and join the Data Management Division (DMD) team at the Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI). STScI is looking for a Science Instrument Calibration Software Team Manager to provide leadership, supervision, technical direction, and mentorship of a diverse team of software engineers, database engineers, test engineers, and astronomers.
STScI is the science operations center for several NASA missions. The DMD is responsible for a multi-petabyte astronomical data archive that maintains the Hubble Space Telescope (HST), Kepler, GALEX, and TESS mission data. It will maintain mission data for the future James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), launching in 2021 and Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope (Roman), launching in the mid-2020s. You will work with a team that is passionate about the work they do in support of astronomers around the world.
We offer an excellent and generous benefits package, tuition reimbursement, flexible work schedules and a stimulating and diverse work environment. Explore our benefits: http://www.stsci.edu/opportunities/benefits
Science Instrument Calibration Software Team Manager Job Responsibilities:
You will lead the Science Instrument Calibration Software team that is responsible for the development, operational maintenance, and user support of calibration software for the Hubble, James Webb, and Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescopes. This software removes detector and instrumental effects, allowing the data to be ready for scientific analysis, and enabling scientists in the astronomy community to extract maximal science from the observations taken by these missions.
- Communicate effectively at the interface between astronomy and software engineering
- Manage a team of 13 software engineers and astronomers working in an agile environment
- Provide project management including coordination, detail planning, direction, and reporting
- Provide functional management including recruitment, coaching, mentorship, and training
- Establish goals and track expected results to closure
- Develop, maintain, and support continuous improvement activities
- Coordinate with other groups both within and outside STScI
- Analyze technology and resource needs to plan and assess the feasibility of projects
- Participate in the development of standards and procedures for the engineering and technical work performed at STScI and implement them within the branch
Qualifications and the Job Requirements
BA in Astronomy, Computer Science, Engineering, or Physics or a related technical or science field. Master's Degree in Computer Science, Astronomy, or related field preferred.
- Demonstrated progressive technical, management, and leadership experience
- Demonstrated very effective communication skills
- Demonstrated experience managing staff developing and supporting a large complex system
- Software engineering experience, including scientific programming with Python
- Experience working within an environment that supports a science community
- Good working knowledge of code versioning tools such as git
- Demonstrated project management experience
- This position requires US Citizenship or Permanent Residence in order to meet ITAR requirements.
- Experience with Python.
- Familiarity with Astropy and Python scientific libraries.
- Experience with agile techniques.
- Experience with large data sets and databases.
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment (CI/CD)
TO APPLY: This position is available immediately. Please upload one cover letter and resume on one PDF document for review. Relocation assistance may be available. Applications received by October 7, 2020 will receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.
Direct Link: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/SPA1004AURA/JobBoard/93330e50-7b3a-4ba8-94f2-6f32360aa4e1/Opportunity/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=a908b812-782a-4710-b80f-9b85bc5acc7d
STScI has most staff working virtually from home during the COVID-19 crisis. The safety of our staff and community is our top priority. We will continue to interview and screen candidates in this new virtual landscape. Offers of employment can be extended and new hires will on-board virtually. We will then ship systems to you to enable working from home until it is safe to report to our Baltimore offices. If applicable, relocation benefits will be available to those eligible when travel can be supported but employees are required to be resident in the Baltimore-Washington area.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements which are included for protection and to assist us in our record keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V