The Isaac Newton Group of Telescopes (ING) invites applications for the post of Optical Engineer. We are seeking a motivated engineer who will contribute to the fine tuning, maintenance and upgrades of new ambitious facility instrumentation and will contribute to the optical maintenance of ING’s telescopes and instruments.
The Optical Engineer will contribute optical knowledge and experience to a multi-disciplinary engineering team responsible for the maintenance and development of ING telescopes, instrumentation and auxiliary systems. He/she will report to the Head of Engineering, and will depend hierarchically to the Head of Astronomy.
In 2022 the ING is planning to commission WEAVE, a next-generation wide-field, multi-fibre spectroscopic facility at the prime focus of the WHT. In 2024 we foresee the deployment of HARPS3, a high-resolution stabilized spectrograph for extra-solar planet science.
Duties and responsibilities
The successful candidate will work as part of a dedicated team managing the optical aspects of ING’s instrumentation projects and providing hands-on optical support for the organisation. He/she will be involved in:
- leading the optical characterization of WEAVE components, their optimization and future upgrades
- providing optics advise on the design, manufacturing, integration and commissioning issues for new instrumentation
- identifying and correcting optics-related operational faults
- carrying out optical alignment, designing and leading the construction of alignment tools
- maintaining optical components and, where appropriate, characterising the performance of these devices
A Job Description is available on demand.
- Minimum: University degree in a relevant optical engineering discipline or a degree in a physics-related discipline
- Preferred: PhD in optical engineering, physics or related field.
- Minimum: able to communicate in English and Spanish.
- Desirable: fluent in English and Spanish. Ability to write complete and accurate optical documentation in English.
- Optical design; ray-tracing software
- Opto-mechanical precision measurements
- Optical systems AIV
- Optical fibre technology
This is a permanent position, subject to a 6-month probation period. The appointment will be at grade D or E depending on the qualifications and experience of the successful candidate. The starting gross annual salary will be 37529 Euros (grade D) or 43153 Euros (grade E). After the first year the salary will rise to 39501 Euros (grade D) or 45428 Euros (grade E). The salary is subject to ~26% Spanish income tax and social-security payments.
Applicants from outside the EU need to be in possession of both residence and work permits which are valid in Spain.
To apply, please send a completed application form, available at http://www.ing.iac.es/About-ING/Vacancies/vacancies1.html by email to [email protected].