NASA FRONTIER DEVELOPMENT LAB 2019 CALL FOR APPLICANTS
NOTE: DEADLINE FOP SPACE SCIENCE APPLICATIONS IS APRIL 12, 2019.
NOTE: DEADLINE FOR AI APPLICATIONS IS MARCH 31st, 2019
The FDL program is hosted by the SETI Institute and NASA Ames in Mountain View, California, and supported by leaders in AI from the private sector, such as IBM, Nvidia, and Intel.
The purpose of the FDL program is to bring together teams of experts in the physical sciences and specialists in data science and machine learning to focus on, and to tackle unresolved problems that lend themselves to emerging AI approaches.
The program encourages rapid interaction and prototyping to create outputs with meaningful application, papers and conference posters. Participants will have the opportunity to work with stellar SETI Scientists and world class mentors in order to fulfill the expectations of the individual teams and to achieve the objectives of the program.
NASA Frontier Development Lab (FDL) and the SETI Institute are seeking doctorate/post doctorate researchers with experience and interest in one of the following areas:
Space Resource Engineering
AI / Machine Learning
Please visit FDL website at https://frontierdevelopmentlab.org, for additional information, to apply to the program and to submit a copy of your CV and cover letter no later than March 31, 2019.
After the application deadline, resumes will be reviewed and qualified candidates will be notified for interviews by FDL and the SETI Institute. Final candidates will receive invitation letters and complete information about the program and logistics. Participants will be provided with weekly stipend, accommodation and transport in Silicon Valley.
Since this is an accelerated learning program, commitment to participate in the program for the entire duration, from June 24th through August 16th, is necessary.
Examples of technical requirements:
Development: Pattern recognition, parallel computing, gpu computing, linux server administration, relational database design, web development, API development
Programming: Python, C++, MATLAB, IDL, bash, PHP, Ruby, MQL5, Fortran, Keras, Torch/Pytorch,Tensorflow, Apache MXNET
- Computer Science participants should have previous experience with Machine Learning/Deep Learning;
- Interest in continuing work completed through the lab by publishing papers or development posters;
- Previous experience in a diverse team environment extremely important and helpful;
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Ability to interact with all levels with diplomacy, respect, discretion and professionalism is critical;
- Must be a team player and approach issues in a collaborative manner;
- Demonstrate professionalism in appearance and communication at all times, be cognizant of different cultures, and able to understand and follow directions, guidelines and policies;
NOTE to International Participants: In addition to a Ph.D. degree, a J-1 visa is required in order to participate in the 8-week program in Mountain View, California. The SETI Institute will assist international participants to apply and obtain a J-1 visa.