The Bay Area Environmental Research (BAER) Institute, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization focused on enabling and conducting research in earth and space science, is seeking a Postdoc/Research Scientist for the NASA Ames exoplanet speckle imaging group. This group operates multiple high-resolution imaging instruments on some of the most advanced optical telescopes in the world. The dual-channel optical speckle imagers are: Alopeke, NESSI, Zorro, and DSSI, and are installed at the Gemini-N, WIYN, Gemini-S, and Discovery Channel telescopes, respectively. The instruments share a common data reduction process and data archive. The position will be located at NASA’s Ames Research Center (ARC), Moffett Field, CA, and is initially for two years with the possibility of extension.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Become integrated into the speckle image group
- Become familiar with the instruments, data reduction, and analysis techniques
- Perform analysis to determine instrumental/observational metrics such as S/N, contrast limits, etc.
- Revise and maintain documentation on the preparation of speckle observations and the reduction of data.
- Supporting the project in the design and implementation of outreach, including a webpage, to increase awareness about the use of speckle data.
- Participating in the observing programs at various telescopes.
- Participating in the writing of funding proposals.
- Developing your own research program.
- Ph.D. degree in astronomy, physics, or a related field.
- At least one year of experience in a scientific or research organization.
- At least one year of experience in observational astronomy.
- Experience in scientific computation, with knowledge in one or more of C, Tcl, GTK, IDL, Python and/or other common scientific computational software platforms.
- Experience with high-resolution imaging and/or exoplanet research.
- A record of independent research and publications.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others on a team.
- Willingness to work night-time hours.
How to Apply: Submit a cover letter and CV to email@example.com. In your cover letter please specify this is for the Postdoc/Research Scientist for the NASA Ames Exoplanet Speckle Imaging Group. All candidates must also provide a list of publications, and a list of at least 3 people willing to provide letters of reference.
Citizenship Requirement: Must be a U.S. Citizen, Lawful Permanent Resident, or Foreign National eligible for either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.
Additional Details: BAER Institute is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, medical condition, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
If you have a disability that requires accommodation, please contact Donna Turnley at firstname.lastname@example.org.