The National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) invites applications for a professor who will lead the research and development of heterodyne receivers at millimeter/submillimeter wavelengths to be installed into various telescopes including ALMA. Applications from those who have specialties in the related fields are greatly expected.
Vacant post: One professor
(1) Division: NAOJ Advanced Technology Center (ATC)
(2) Duty Station: Mitaka, Tokyo
Field of specialty: Applied Physics, Electrical/Electronic Engineering, or Radio Astronomy
Duties and Responsibilities:
NAOJ operates the ALMA telescope in global partnership among Japan, Europe, and North America and other various telescopes. This professor position is for a researcher who is willing to assume a wide range of tasks that include playing active roles in the maintenance and development of the manufacturing technology of superconductive devices that have been carried on by NAOJ for over 30 years initially at the Nobeyama Radio Observatory (NRO) and then ALMA, maintaining stable supply of superconductive devices for radio telescopes including ALMA, and moving ahead with development plans for the next-generation receivers. More specifically, the selected professor is expected to take the lead in the development of superconductive devices for the worldwide radio astronomy through NAOJ, while addressing challenges to provide a multi-beam ALMA receiver for a higher frequency to extend the receiver frequency bandwidth, and furthermore to develop an integrated superconducting receiver serving as a pioneer for the future radio astronomy.
The selected candidate will be employed as a professor at the NAOJ Advanced Technology Center but may possibly be transferred to other divisions related to ALMA or others.
(1) Start of employment: As soon as reasonably possible after selection
(2) Term of employment: Indefinite (Until the retirement age of 65 years old)
Required qualification: Doctoral degree in engineering or science, or equivalent.
applicant is expected to have profound knowledge and extensive experience of the radio astronomy observation instruments and have capability to play an active role as a key member of the international ALMA receiver development team. Especially, it is essential to have communication skills to build and maintain good cooperative relationships with people concerned (including researchers) both internationally and domestically. English proficiency is also required to lead discussions in face-to-face meetings, video conferences and conference calls, etc.
e-mail the documents below as PDF attachments (all documents should be written in English).
(1) Cover letter
(2) Curriculum vitae (Research history to be included. If you have any achievement in a research/development project as a group member, describe your contribution to it in details.)
(3) List of research papers (Peer-reviewed papers should be separated from others. For co-authored papers, your roles should be specified.)
(4) PDF copies of your major three research papers
(5) Your commitment and plan to fulfill the tasks
(6) Two or more reference letters (please ask the reference persons to send the letter as an attachment by e-mail to the submission address as shown in Section 9. (1) below by the application deadline separately from other application documents.)
(7) Your e-mail address and phone number for a prompt contact
Application deadline: 2017-11-30, 17:00 (Japan Standard Time)
How to apply :
(1) E-mail your application documents to: apply-atc-prof20171130_AT_nao.ac.jp (*replace _AT_ with @) with a subject line “application for professor of Advanced Technology Center”.
(2) If you have any question, Contact:
Prof. Takashi NOGUCHI, Director of Advanced Technology Center
E-mail: Takashi.Noguchi_AT_nao.ac.jp (*replace _AT_ with @) with a subject line "question on professor of Advanced Technology Center"
Notes for application:
• Convert into separate PDF files all application documents (1) through (7) listed in Section 7 above and attach them to your e-mail for application.
• Make PDF files with appropriate resolution so that they won’t be too large (file size: up to 10 MB attachment for one email)
Do not send your application by mail or bring it by yourself.
Your application documents will be used only for the purpose of selection for this position.
Upon receipt of your application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail within three days except weekends and holidays. If you do not receive any reply from NAOJ, please contact us by sending an email to apply-atc-prof20171130_AT_nao.ac.jp (*replace _AT_ with @)
Policy for Equal Employment Opportunity: Abiding by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act for Men and Women, NAOJ is committed to the realization of a society with gender equality. If two candidates are deemed equal in their performance evaluation, NAOJ will take positive actions to employ women. For details, see http://open-info.nao.ac.jp/danjokyodo/