Research Scientist II (Instrument Scientist) at the CHARA Array
The Center for High Angular Resolution Astronomy (CHARA) at Georgia State University (GSU) is seeking applicants for an instrument scientist position. CHARA operates the CHARA Array, an optical/IR, long baseline interferometer located at Mount Wilson Observatory (www.chara.gsu.edu). We are starting a program to add a seventh telescope to the Array. This will be a mobile telescope that will be moved to several locations on Mount Wilson and will be connected to the other telescopes through fiber optics. We are seeking an optical instrument scientist who will lead this project, and direct the optical design, construction, installation, and initial operations.
This position is fully supported for three years. The workplace is the Mount Wilson Observatory north of Los Angeles.
Applicants should have the following basic qualifications:
1) Ph.D. in astronomy, physics, engineering, or closely related field (or B.S. or M.S. with equivalent years of professional work)
2) Significant expertise in instrument development with work experience in one or more of the following areas: telescopes, detectors, optical devices, fiber optics, mechanical and electrical design, computer control of instruments
3) Evidence of the ability to work in a collaborative effort
4) A working knowledge of GNU/Linux and C-programming
Applications should include:
2) Statement of the candidate's professional interests and accomplishments, and how they relate to the CHARA Array
3) Contact information for at least three references
Applications received by December 31, 2020, will receive full consideration. An offer of employment will be conditional on background verification.
Questions regarding the position can be addressed to Dr. Theo ten Brummelaar (email@example.com) or Dr. Douglas Gies (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Georgia State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against applicants due to race, ethnicity, gender, veteran status, or on the basis of disability or any other federal, state, or local protected class. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply to Job
Please apply on-line for this position:
Step 1: GSU Job Website: https://employment.gsu.edu/
Step 2: Select "External Applicants"
Step 3: Enter job number 20000594: "Research Scientist II Position #20000594"
Step 4: Click Apply Online (if a new user, create a username and password)
Step 5: Complete the entire application and upload all requested documentation to the online application.