River Grove, IL
Triton College, a comprehensive two year institution located in a near western suburb of Chicago, is seeking a Planetarium Educator, to join our team.
This position is primarily responsible for accurate and quality presentation of all types of planetarium programs: public, schools, events, laser shows, and others, including on weekends and evenings. The Planetarium Educator collaborates in the development of educational materials and programming planetarium control systems. This position also participates in performing all types of office duties as needed to provide quality services to Cernan Center visitors, members, other Triton College departments, and our surrounding communities.
1. Deliver programs in the Cernan Center Planetarium to all types of visitors and groups.
2. Maintain familiarity with current events and develop further knowledge in the areas of astronomy and space exploration past, present, and future in order to interact with all types of visitors.
3. Collaborate on development of educator guides and related activities.
4. Take group reservations, generate confirmations, and check in groups when they arrive.
5. Staff the Star Store as a cashier, open and close the register, stock and straighten merchandise as needed.
6. Maintain electronic attendance and revenue records.
7. Assist with supporting Cernan Center members as needed.
8. Perform general monitoring and troubleshooting of Planetarium equipment to maintain quality presentation.
9 Respond to public and other inquiries about the Planetarium, astronomy, and other topics.
10. Assist with programming planetarium control systems.
11. Assist with special events such as star parties, College-wide events, member parties, and facility rentals.
12. Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
1. Speak in front of a large audience.
2. Present a wide variety of programs in a clear and effective manner.
3. Communicate effectively to people of various ages and experience.
4. Have good organizational skills.
5. Proficient in MS Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
6. Ability to learn specialized programming languages and techniques for planetarium and other control systems.
Director of the Cernan Earth and Space Center
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in education, science, or communications.
Two years of experience working in a planetarium or informal science education, including creating and delivering complex content.
Be able to demonstrate proficiency in public speaking.
Must be able to stand for extended periods of time as well as lift and move supplies and equipment (up to 20 lbs.).
To apply, please visit our website at:
Triton College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution.