Two postdoc positions are available at the Laboratory of Astrophysics (LASTRO) of the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Switzerland. The positions are part of a Swiss wide AstroSignals project within the broad topics of radio astronomy/cosmology, and signal/data processing of radio interferometry data. Motivated and talented young researchers will be recruited to work on developing astrophysics expertise in the context of the new large radio-interferometry projects (e.g. HIRAX, MeerKat, ASKAP, LOFAR, ...).
The astro position will focus on:
- Probing astrophysics and cosmology, through a) HI mapping from low redshift up to the redshift of reionization, b) clustering analysis or c) radio weak lensing.
- Uncovering the complex physics of clusters of galaxies through multi-wavelength analysis including the radio domain.
The data science position will focus on:
- Efficient radio interferometric data processing and image synthesis using High Performance Computing
- Novel Machine Learning techniques to process and explore 3D datacubes
The Laboratory of Astrophysics focuses on research in extragalactic astrophysics and cosmology (https://www.epfl.ch/labs/lastro), it consists of approximately 15 PhD students, 10 postdoctoral researchers, 4 professors, and one data scientist.
The Astrophysicists from EPFL and Geneva University share the same facilities at the Observatoire de Sauverny near Geneva, but also have offices on the EPFL campus. There are also natural connections with CERN other Swiss Universities as well as with the Swiss National HPC Center. EPFL is recognized as one of the best Universities in Europe, and hosts world-leading research institutes for particle physics, cosmology, and has a strong community on data science. In 2020, EPFL became a member of the SKA Organization and coordinates the participation of the Swiss academic community.
Application shall be submitted at:
and must include:
- motivation letter, 2 pages,
- research statement, 3 pages
- CV, 3 pages,
- & publication list
3 reference letters should be sent to [email protected]
Application Deadline: January, 3rd, 2021
URL: https://lastro.epfl.ch, https://astrosignals.ch/