Internship Science Journalism of the German popular astronomy magazine "Sterne und Weltraum"
We are offering a 6-month internship in 2019 with the option for an extension to a 12-month voluntary traineeship in the editorial office of "Sterne und Weltraum". You will work in a team of professional science journalists and media designers.
"Sterne und Weltraum" is the leading popular German magazine in astronomy and space research. The editorial office is located in Heidelberg, Germany, in the "Haus der Astronomie", a Center for Astronomy Education and Outreach (www.haus-der-astronomie.de/en) which is on the campus of the Max-Planck Institute for Astronomy in Heidelberg. Your work will be part of the journalistic activities of the SpringerNature Group.
"Spektrum der Wissenschaft" which belongs to the SpringerNature Group is a renowned publisher in Germany and part of the international group "Scientific American" and "Nature".
During your internship, or traineeship respectively, you will learn methods and skills for working in an editorial staff in a cross-media and science journalistic environment. This includes how to write about complex scientific topics.
You will support the staff by:
- Searching for current topics in astronomy and space research
- Searching for authors and inviting authorships
- Editing articles and news
- Writing your own content (print and online) in various journalistic formats
- Preparing and conducting interviews
- Supporting all columns of the magazine
- Participating in science and press conferences, as well as other meetings
- Representing the publishing company on public and special events
- Supporting social media channels
You will use software from the MS Office package as well as modern editorial tools (Adobe InCopy), content management systems, web tools, and apps.
- A master degree in natural sciences, ideally a PhD in physics and/or astronomy
- Experience in writing German articles about physics and astronomy preferred
- Experience in astronomical observations and in the use of amateur astronomer's tools
- German native speaker
- Very good skills in English
- High communicative and social skills
- High affinity to social media
- Intuition for a convincing layout of popular articles
- Definite opinion about scientific and social questions
- High capacity, loyalty, reliability, versatility, and innovative power, willingness to travel
- Start beginning/mid 2019
- Job initially limited to 6 months
- Location in Heidelberg, Germany
- Salary: 1535,00 Euros per month
We are looking forward to your online application using SAP SuccessFactors (https://www.successfactors.com).
Anja Albat-Nollau, Anja.Albat-Nollau@springer.com, HR Development Officer Germany, SpringerNature