Based at Swinburne University, the successful OzGrav Postdoctoral Research Fellow in precision timing will work with Dr Ryan Shannon, Professor Matthew Bailes, and the OzGrav Pulsar Timing Array project team, which is distributed between Swinburne University of Technology, the University of Melbourne, Monash University and the CSIRO.
You will collect and analyse data sets from new facilities, such as the MeerKAT array in South African and the new ultrawide-band system being deployed at Parkes, combine them with legacy and international data sets, and conduct the most sensitive searches for nanohertz frequency gravitational radiation.
To be successful you will need:
- A doctorate (or will shortly satisfy the requirements of a PhD) in a relevant discipline area, such as astronomy or physics
- A sound knowledge of pulsar astronomy
- Knowledge of pulsar data analysis techniques and/or nanohertz frequency gravitational wave search methods
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and advanced computing
The Australian Research Council recently announced $31.3M of funding for a major new Centre of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery, known as OzGrav (ozgrav.org), that commenced operations in early 2017. It is led by Professor Matthew Bailes and its activities will include LIGO and SKA instrumentation, data, and astrophysics that span the gravitational-wave and electro-magnetic spectrum.
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted online by following the instructions available in the job advertisement, which also includes a link to the position description. Applications must include:
· A cover letter, including your explanation for why the position is of interest.
· A full CV, with publications and skills listed. Please note: any “in preparation” papers will need to be supplied upon request.
· A 2-page research plan that describes the work you would like to pursue as part of OzGrav.
In addition, please submit the names of at least two, maximum three referees and have their letters submitted independently to email@example.com.
Applications Close: 5:00pm AEST 30 September 2017