Applications are invited for a research scientist appointment in the radio astronomy group at the Argelander Institute for Astronomy.
Our group is involved in numerous observational projects using radio to submillimeter telescope facilities. We have been partner in the NANTEN2 telescope, to be succeeded by the CCAT-prime telescope that will begin operation early 2022. Hosting the German ARC node, we are committed to ALMA operation support and science (e.g. in the ALMA ASPECS and A3-COSMOS collaborations), and we support the German SKA/MeerKAT efforts.
The successful applicant will pursue his/her own research program and is expected to
- lead studies in galaxy evolution using (sub)mm observatories,
- strongly engage in our Bonn-Cologne DFG research collaboration CRC 956,
- become involved in the preparation for and execution of CCAT-prime science and, for this collaborate with our CCAT partners at Cornell, Canada, Cologne, Munich,
- support our ALMA ARC efforts,
- work closely with PhD and Masters students and support our master-level teaching efforts.
Candidates must have a Ph.D. in astronomy or physics. The appointment may begin as soon as possible. This is a German civil service position (Beamter/Akademischer Rat auf Zeit; level A13) open to all qualified individuals, regardless of nationality. The initial appointment will be made for three years with the possibility of an extension to six years, pending adequate research progress. German language skills are not required. Women and minorities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email a single pdf including CV, publication list, and a research statement. In addition, please arrange to have three letters of recommendation sent to Prof. Bertoldi.