National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) invites applications for a few professor positions in the division of science.
1. Job Title: Professor, a few positions
2. Division and Location: Division of Science, NAOJ, Mitaka, Tokyo 181-8588, Japan
3. Area of Expertise: astronomy and/or related fields
4. Job Description:
The National Astronomical Observatory of Japan (NAOJ) has been playing a leading role in the forefront of astronomical research worldwide, as has been demonstrated in the construction and operation of large-scale astronomical facilities such as Subaru telescope, ALMA, and ATERUI II (supercomputer for astrophysical simulations). As of April 2019, NAOJ will establish a new division called “Division of Science” aiming to develop new fields of growth in natural sciences for further advancement of astronomy by leveraging strategies such as: 1) strengthening synergies between theory and observations; 2) pushing forward with multi-wavelength astronomy; and 3) encouraging creative new ideas that bring key innovation to astronomy (e.g. multi-messenger astronomy). Along with the establishment of the new division, existing four divisions (Division of Theoretical Astronomy, Division of Radio Astronomy, Division of Optical and Infrared Astronomy, and Division of Solar and Plasma Astrophysics) will be dissolved.
As one of the lead scientists at the Division of Science, the successful candidate is expected to explore the new possibilities in astronomy and to take the initiative in promoting scientific activities that make impact on relevant research fields as well. The responsibilities of this position require continuously demonstrating leadership and outstanding performance in research activities, and also fostering collaborations among NAOJ scientists to stimulate productivity of science by making the best use of NAOJ’s strengths.
5. Terms of Appointment:The candidate should be able to start as soon as possible after the job offer has been accepted. It is possible to continue in this position until NAOJ's mandatory retirement age.
6. Minimum Educational Requirement: Ph.D. or equivalent
7. Required Application Materials: (*To be prepared in English. Any other language will not be accepted)
(1) A cover letter,
(2) A curriculum vitae,
(3) Publications list (Separate refereed and non-refereed papers with number of citations by ADS),
(4) A summary of your past research activities including international collaborations,
(5) Your commitment and plan to fulfill the duties (including your research plan as needed)
(6) Five or more reference letters. Note that your current supervisor or line manager cannot be your reference. Please ask the individuals to send the letter as an e-mail attachment to the submission address shown in 9. (1). Applicants are responsible for ensuring that the letters arrive before the application deadline. (all reference letters should be written by faculty/staff with tenured positions, and the maximum number of reference letters from one country should be two)
(7)Your address (e-mail and phone) for prompt contact and the email address of your current supervisor or line manager.
8. Application Deadline: 2018-11-16, 17:00 (Japan Standard Time)
9. Submission: Send your application documents by e-mail to email@example.com
Subject of e-mail: “Application for Professor of NAOJ Division of Science”.
10. Notes for application:
- Convert each application documents (from 7.(1) through 7.(7) above) to separate PDF files and attach them to your e-mail for application.
- Make PDF files with appropriate resolution so that they won’t be too large (file size: up to 10 MB)
- Upon receipt of your application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail. If you do not receive any response from NAOJ within 3 working days, please contact; E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Candidates selected in the final short list may be interviewed by the selection committee either via internet or face-to-face. The expense for the interview will not be covered by NAOJ.
- The NAOJ Advisory Committee for Research and Management will make the final decision for the appointment.
- Policy for Equal Employment Opportunity: Abiding by the Equal Employment Opportunity Act for Men and Women, NAOJ is committed to the realization of a society with gender equality. If two candidates are deemed equal in their performance evaluation, NAOJ will take positive action to employ women. For details, see http://open-info.nao.ac.jp/danjokyodo/