Three postdoctoral Fellowships in observational cosmology on the Zwicky Transient Factory

Submission Information
Publish Date: 
Monday, October 11, 2021
Archive Date: 
Monday, December 6, 2021
To event remaining 44 days
Job Summary
Job Category: 
Post-doctoral Positions and Fellowships
Institution Classification/Type: 
Large Academic
Institution/Company: 
CNRS/IN2P3
City: 
Paris, Clermont, Marseille
State/Province: 
France
Country: 
France
Announcement
Job Announcement Text: 

The ZTF-IN2P3 participation group is offering 3 three-year post-doctoral positions in observational cosmology to work on the Zwicky Transient Facility (ZTF) dataset.

With its 47 square degree field of view camera, ZTF observes the northern hemisphere in three bands daily. Since mid-2018 it discovers, follows and types ~1000 type Ia supernovae per year at z<0.1. This makes ZTF the largest homogeneous, spectroscopically complete, sample to date. This golden sample can unlock unprecedented cosmological tests, such as an independent measurement of H0 and its isotropy, the first direct measurement of fσ8 at z~0 from SNe Ia peculiar velocities, which provides a test of Einstein’s general relativity at cosmological scales. Combined with the current SN samples at higher redshifts, the ZTF supernovae will give the first non marginal constraints on a variable equation of state of Dark Energy. 

The successful applicants shall dedicate ~30% of their time to the general effort of the ZTF-group to help build the SN light curves and extract distances. The remaining 70% will be available to cosmological analyses.

The positions are funded by the French Agence nationale de la Recherche (ANR) and are open at LPC Clermont, LPNHE Paris and CPPM Marseille. These groups are actively working together through the ZTF-IN2P3 National project which gathers ~30 researchers, postdocs and students. They are in addition active in LSST and/or Euclid and DESI. The successful applicants may have the opportunity to join any of these collaborations. 

The position includes a research allowance, including travel money and access to the CNRS-IN2P3 Computing Center. 

Applicants must have a PhD in cosmology, astrophysics, data science or a related field. Applicants are asked to submit a CV, a research statement, a list of publications and arrange for three letters of recommendation to be sent directly to Nicolas Regnault, Mickael Rigault, hilippe Rosnet and Dominique Fouchez ([email protected])

For full consideration, the application and recommendation letters must be received before Dec. 15 2021. The position is expected to begin any time from now to October 2022.

Pay Compensation
Salary Min: 
$3500.00 (USD)
Salary Max: 
$3500.00 (USD)
Included Benefits: 

The gross monthly salary for a full time position is 3000 € / month,  health insurance benefits, maternity/paternity leave  included. 

Application Deadline: 
Wednesday, December 15, 2021
Selection Deadline: 
Saturday, January 1, 2022
Current Status of Position: 
Accepting Applicants
Apply to Job
Attention To: 
N. Regnault / M. Rigault / P. Rosnet / D. Fouchez
Institution/Company: 
CNRS/IN2P3
City: 
Paris
Country: 
France
Inquiries About Job
Attention To: 
N. Regnault / M. Rigault / P. Rosnet / D. Fouchez
Subject: 
ZTF postdocs