We are seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Research Associate to carry out radio follow-up of gravitational wave events from LIGO. The specific focus will be on leading our observational program for electromagnetic counterparts of gravitational wave events with the Australia Telescope Compact Array and the Australian SKA Pathfinder. The researcher will be involved in all aspects of this program, from planning, observing, data reduction and scientific analysis and publication of results.
In addition, there will be the opportunity to be involved in our wider radio transients program in an area of research that interests them (areas include, but are not limited to radio supernova, GRBs, ultracool dwarf stars, AGN variability or ISM propagation effects.
Specific activities include:
- Observing with the Australia Telescope Compact Array;
- Reducing and analysing data from ATCA and ASKAP observations;
- Writing software to reduce and analyse data efficiently;
- Interpreting radio observations in the context of theoretical models for neutron star mergers;
- Publishing scientific results from this research;
- Contributing to the supervision of undergraduate research students
The position is 2 years fixed term, full time, Academic Level A with base salary AU$92,682 p.a. plus a generous employer's contribution to superannuation. A possible extension is available for up to 1 year, subject to performance and funding.
For more information please view the candidate information pack available on the University of Sydney careers website. All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 496/0319F to apply.