The Kapteyn Astronomical Institute of the University of Groningen, in the Netherlands, invites applications for 5 PhD positions in the area of galaxy formation and evolution:
- Two positions in the group of Prof. Filippo Fraternali to study gas accretion into star-forming galaxies and galactic winds across cosmic time.
- One position in the group of Prof. Karina Caputi to study galaxies around the Epoch of Reionization from Euclid Deep Surveys.
- One position in the group of Prof. Reynier Peletier to work on connecting spatial and spectral information of galaxies as part of the EU Doctoral Network EDUCADO.
- One position in the group of Dr. Lingyu Wang to study dusty galaxy evolution, using cutting-edge sub-millimetre surveys in combination with Euclid and radio surveys.
We seek excellent students with a strong background in the physical sciences who desire a PhD degree from a top European University. A successful candidate must hold a Master's degree in Physics, Astronomy or a related field, or equivalent degree by the starting date of the position. Previous research experience and skills will be important criteria for the selection.
These PhD student positions are paid according to the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities:
- a salary of €2,770 in the first year to a maximum of €3,539 gross per month in the final year (PhD salary scale), based on a full-time position
- a holiday allowance of 8% gross annual income
- an 8.3% year-end bonus
- a full-time position (1.0 FTE).
The selected PhD candidates will be first offered a temporary position of one year with the option of renewal for another three years.
Information on how to apply and more details on the positions can be found at https://www.rug.nl/research/kapteyn/vacatures/phd-positions
Informal inquiries are welcome and should be sent to [email protected]
The application deadline is November 30, 2023, at midnight (CET) with interviews planned for the week January 22-26, 2024.